Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Buster#1

RVF Newbee
I just got a 2019 Ram 2500 and had an Andersen hitch installed on a B&W turnover ball. I love the design and characteristics of the hitch, but I have one major problem. The landing gear on the fifth wheel much move the ENTIRE length of travel to hook up/ un-hook. I am hitting the stops in both directions because of the amount of travel required to put the ball into/ out of the receiver. In fact, to unhook the first time, I had to put 6 sandbags and 120lbs of free weights on the tailgate to get the rear of the truck low enough to clear the ball. How did others resolve this issue? Would airbags help to reduce truck squat, since the truck sags about 3-4" when attached? (My dry 5er weight is 9500 lbs). Any advice?

WOW, that sounds like an issue. I have the Andersen Ultimate hitch also. On a Ford 250 King Ranch. I was worried at first because with 20" wheels, and being taller than a stock unit, I thought I might have problems.
Turns out there was no issue for me. So apparently the amount of travel in the ruck is likely to blame? I say that because, if you were able to hook it up, and then needed extra weight to unhook, it seems like there is some loose travel in your suspension that is allowing the box to rise too far?

But, I'm a newbie, and I am sure that there are others on here with far better info. On my 5 er I have adjustable front legs, and so I can ground them before running the landing gear. Any chance you can add an extension to the bottom of the landing gear to let you ground it at a much higher height before having to run the power gear? The bottom of my legs look like standard steel post with pin holes.

Is the trailer and truck level when connected?

It certainly appears to be. It tracks well, pulls well, and has not been any problem. Is it a little high? I don't think so. Even though my King Ranch is 2" taller than stock, it seems to be level.

Hope that helps!

I was just thinking if the front of the trailer was a bit high you can adjust the king pin to bring the front of the trailer down. Then you might not have to fully extend the front jacks to get the trailer off.

Sounds more like a suspension issue with the truck. The fiver just *may* have more pin weight than the truck likes. When you unhook the suspension on the truck unloads (rises) and you need to raise the pin box to clear the ball and when you hook up you are compressing the suspension. What I suggest is to get axle weights of the truck alone then with the fiver. That will tell you the pin weight and compare it with the truck capacity.

Hi
New person here first time posting. Not a 5th wheel expert for sure but ,wouldn't placing blocks or levelers under the 5th wheel jacks help . . You would have more leg length on the jacks then wouldn't you? We have always had trailers and have just placed an order for a 5th wheel . I have a 2016 Ram 2500 and I also will be using the Andersen hitch. A lot of people do use the 2500 Ram with no issues.

So i was just wondering if you are able to adjust the AUH ball down to help out? There are at least three settings on the ball height, and that might be enough.

Also, if that does not work, you could look at the low profile AUH. In fact it may be the preferred model for your TV?

Check the Andersen site and see if the low profile model is available for your TV.

Williams&Williams

Hey folks need some help. I have a 2021 Cherokee Wolf Pack Toy Hauler. I have an Anderson Ultimate Hitch. My TV is a Chevy Silverado 3500 dually with air bags. My issue is my landing gear will not raise high enough to get above the ball on the AUH. I have the ball at the lowest level. I built eight wood block bases to help with the distance but the legs will only travel about 6 to 8 inches. I've talked to Forest River and they said it must be a weight issue. I have a generator and the batteries. There is also a 50 watt solar panel mounted on the roof. Normal items in the basement and the bedroom. Not thinking this is weight issue but I'm at wits end. Thinking about changing out the legs to Ultra Fab dual control motors for independent action but If I can resolve my problem without spending that much for an upgrade I would be very pleased. Any ideas are much appreciated.

Latest resources

Back