Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Could this be an issue with the water heater?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TXbound

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Winnebago
RV Model
Adventurer
RV Length
Chassis
Chevy P30
Engine
454 Vortac
Fulltimer
Yes
I'm looking at buying a Winnebago Adventurer Class A and I noticed this in the picture it's been some years since I had a motorhome and I don't remember how the water heater looked, is this normal or indicate a problem? Thanks
IMG_20210105_171256326.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210105_171317927.jpg
    IMG_20210105_171317927.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210105_171251002.jpg
    IMG_20210105_171251002.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Im not sure what's going on there but no ..... that does not look normal to me. I would open the panel and see what's going on underneath.

Welcome to RVF, @TXbound; glad to have you join us here. As for the water heater grille, that doesn't look good. Further, it is a possible indication of conditions in the rest of the coach's systems and how they were cared for. I would want a full inspection of the coach by a qualified RVIA inspector before I even considered purchasing it.

TJ

img_20210105_171251002-jpg.4815

Im not sure what's going on there but no ..... that does not look normal to me. I would open the panel and see what's going on underneath.
I did open it and I attached a picture here but I don’t think it was seen, I’ll try to attach it again thanks.
Welcome to RVF, @TXbound; glad to have you join us here. As for the water heater grille, that doesn't look good. Further, it is a possible indication of conditions in the rest of the coach's systems and how they were cared for. I would want a full inspection of the coach by a qualified RVIA inspector before I even considered purchasing it.

TJ

Attachments

• IMG_20210105_171251002.jpg
    IMG_20210105_171251002.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
Unfortunately I’m in a small city In Oregon and the only qualified RV tech is in Arizona till Summer, I’m also pressed for time since we lost our home in the wildfires here and need to move out of state. Thanks

I found a article that says that black marks around the water heater could be a bad propane regulator, I’m certain that’s less expensive to replace than the water heater, need to buy a new regulator at any propane supplier as I recall.

Unfortunately I’m in a small city In Oregon and the only qualified RV tech is in Arizona till Summer, I’m also pressed for time since we lost our home in the wildfires here and need to move out of state. Thanks
We are certainly sorry to hear that you lost your home in the recent wildfires. That was a tragic event to be sure. Hopefully, 2021 will be much better for you. To that point, we hope that the time crunch to find a RV won't put you in a position where you will have to select one that will be a source of continuing problems. Check the issues out carefully so that you won't have to deal with more problems.

Wishing you the very best.

TJ

We are certainly sorry to hear that you lost your home in the recent wildfires. That was a tragic event to be sure. Hopefully, 2021 will be much better for you. To that point, we hope that the time crunch to find a RV won't put you in a position where you will have to select one that will be a source of continuing problems. Check the issues out carefully so that you won't have to deal with more problems.

Wishing you the very best.

TJ
Yes it’s been hard for so many families who lost their homes and livelihoods due to the fires and covid here in Oregon, I appreciate what you are saying though who needs more problems , it could also just be a blocked burner tube if it’s an Atwood and it probably is, could possibly be a nest in there, will have to take it apart and inspect it, BeEn there done that before lol.

Yes it’s been hard for so many families who lost their homes and livelihoods due to the fires and covid here in Oregon, I appreciate what you are saying though who needs more problems , it could also just be a blocked burner tube if it’s an Atwood and it probably is, could possibly be a nest in there, will have to take it apart and inspect it, BeEn there done that before lol.
Wishing you all the best in whatever decision you make.

TJ

I had what looks like the same water heater in a 1992 Pace Arrow. What you are looking at is NOT normally. Hard to tell for sure but looks like the plenum in the upper left may have a leak. Was the water heater operational? I would also pull the water drain plug and see how much sentiment comes out.

Latest resources

Back