Chassis
F550
Engine
Titan V10
TOW/TOAD
2020 Polaris Slingshot
Fulltimer
No
We’re on our way home from our Alaska trip and we had a great time except at the gas pumps. Us gassers have some unique issues getting to pumps that we can access with a 38ft towing a Jeep. We manage by usually staying on the outside pumps and we don’t mind waiting to get to them if they’re busy. One of the problems I deal with is someone pumps their car/truck full of gas then leaves to shop in the store. Sometimes for as long as 15 min. Common courtesy would dictate that after fill up you take your car to a parking spot so others can fill up. Now most of these instances seem to be of the younger generation, but not all.

Today topped it all. At a Loves Truck Stop I pulled in for full and went into the area where the pumps are and got behind a truck and travel trailer that seemed to be in line for the far pump like me. There was a black car I thought was getting gas making the guy in front of me wait. While waiting a white SUV zips in to get gas on the far pumps as well. I wasn’t happy, but hey he has space while the black car was still there so no harm, no foul. Anyway he got done filling up, then got his dog out to us the bathroom with his car at the pumps. So I opened my window, got his attention, explained that this was not the time or place to leave your car for dogging stuff. He promptly moved. The guy with the truck/travel trailer still has not moved so the wife went up to see what the delay was. Here is a couple eating lunch in the front seat blocking the lane and never intended to get fuel. So we go them to move. I pulled my RV right to the back bumper of the black car (still there) and no one around. Probably 20 min now. I go in and tell the cashier the issue, she makes an announcement. About 5-10 min later a young lady walks out to the car. I told here you are to never leave your car at the pumps while shopping. Other people need to get fuel too. Her rebuttal to me was she parked there because she had a baby in the car!
I just could not believe it!! I guess she did that so people would not see the babies in the car in a parking lot. I was livid!! She pulled away before I could get my wits together.
We were going to find a park for the night, but I ended up driving for another 2 1/2 hrs so I could cool down.

We’re on our way home from our Alaska trip and we had a great time except at the gas pumps. Us gassers have some unique issues getting to pumps that we can access with a 38ft towing a Jeep. We manage by usually staying on the outside pumps and we don’t mind waiting to get to them if they’re busy. One of the problems I deal with is someone pumps their car/truck full of gas then leaves to shop in the store. Sometimes for as long as 15 min. Common courtesy would dictate that after fill up you take your car to a parking spot so others can fill up. Now most of these instances seem to be of the younger generation, but not all.

Today topped it all. At a Loves Truck Stop I pulled in for full and went into the area where the pumps are and got behind a truck and travel trailer that seemed to be in line for the far pump like me. There was a black car I thought was getting gas making the guy in front of me wait. While waiting a white SUV zips in to get gas on the far pumps as well. I wasn’t happy, but hey he has space while the black car was still there so no harm, no foul. Anyway he got done filling up, then got his dog out to us the bathroom with his car at the pumps. So I opened my window, got his attention, explained that this was not the time or place to leave your car for dogging stuff. He promptly moved. The guy with the truck/travel trailer still has not moved so the wife went up to see what the delay was. Here is a couple eating lunch in the front seat blocking the lane and never intended to get fuel. So we go them to move. I pulled my RV right to the back bumper of the black car (still there) and no one around. Probably 20 min now. I go in and tell the cashier the issue, she makes an announcement. About 5-10 min later a young lady walks out to the car. I told here you are to never leave your car at the pumps while shopping. Other people need to get fuel too. Her rebuttal to me was she parked there because she had a baby in the car!
I just could not believe it!! I guess she did that so people would not see the babies in the car in a parking lot. I was livid!! She pulled away before I could get my wits together.
We were going to find a park for the night, but I ended up driving for another 2 1/2 hrs so I could cool down.
I swear it's time Darwin starts thinning the crowds!

Darrell

Unbelievable! But unfortunately, I've been the guy at the back too many times myself.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a certain truck stop where tiny cars and pickup trucks park in the RV / bus spots. I pulled in once and two ladies arebtalking, eachbwith a tiny car in adjacent RV spaces. The car spots (mNy empty were right behind the RV spots. I pulled in trying to give her a hint that these spaces are for larger vehicles. She looked up at me and continued talking. So I pulled up behind her leaving enough space for her to get into her trunk. She did not budge. I just turned on the generator and A/C and sat down. They continued to talk for another 15 minutes, exchanged something and left. Courtesy is not taught anymore. Me is the only existent thing for many.

We are now in the "it's all about me" world. I love Buc'ees but I've seen people pull up to a pump, get out, and go inside. They never got gas they just parked there.

These two cars were “parked” in front of two of the three diesel pumps at this shell station this morning when I stopped to get fuel. I stopped at the third diesel pump around the corner, got out, started the pump going through Shell’s ridiculously long menu, pumped 20 gal of diesel, and took this picture as I left - still no people, no activity, no fuel being pumped, and of course neither car takes diesel. I see this so often I usually don’t even notice anymore, but @BGMAC’s post had me thinking about it.
IMG_2856.jpeg

These two cars were “parked” in front of two of the three diesel pumps at this shell station this morning when I stopped to get fuel. I stopped at the third diesel pump around the corner, got out, started the pump going through Shell’s ridiculously long menu, pumped 20 gal of diesel, and took this picture as I left - still no people, no activity, no fuel being pumped, and of course neither car takes diesel. I see this so often I usually don’t even notice anymore, but @BGMAC’s post had me thinking about it.
View attachment 24758
Makes total sense to me! I just look at the license!!!

I don't like Pidgeon holing people but............ California does grow some strange people with strange ideas. ;)

Darrell
I have lived in California! So there are some great people there, but on average they have a very large "me first" population.

I have lived in California! So there are some great people there, but on average they have a very large "me first" population.
It's not just California. This "me first" nonsense, akin to "don't tell me what to do" seems to have infected most of those under 50!

Latest resources

Back