Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

CaptainGizmo

RVF Expert
SoCal...relax, we're one of the good ones! ;-)
RV Year
RV Make
Newell
RV Model
2020P
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2017 Ford F-150 Raptor w/AF1 Braking
Fulltimer
No
Um. Yup. This is this year’s new project.

I’m testing the CradlePoint IBR1700, which is a beast of a mobile Cat18 router that boasts some very significant features unlike others. I’ve installed the MC400 modem into its expansion bay for dual carrier service.

One huge benefit is the THREE WiFi radios that can be individually configured as wireless clients or WiFi as wan. This has the distinct advantage of better throughput but, more importantly, avoiding channel collision.

Also, the 1700 is able to use the sub-channels that other routers cannot. Oddly enough, their newest offering, the R1900 lacks the above capabilities. So my guru cellular engineer friend pointed me in this direction as I build out this robust system.l which also can include a weBOOST and Coach Processor and Media Server.

For those who want 5G, which these modems are “5G ready” only, not embedded, an outboard hotspot such as the FMCA T-Mobile 5G hotspot can be added through a Raspberry Pi USB interface. For me, I’m content with LTE right now.

The great reports of others who’ve installed this system is the 100% availability, even on the single T-Mobile carrier. Speeds have been extremely good as well; above 30 even in weaker areas, with many areas blowing way past 100.

Later, I’ll be producing a video to show the components and give a full report.

Check out the size difference compared to the PepWave Transit, as well as the explosion of antennae! 😳

Attachments

• 23F316E0-A866-4188-8C42-6827B9BC70A0.jpeg
    23F316E0-A866-4188-8C42-6827B9BC70A0.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 15
  • 1E9525CA-4E43-4803-BE69-2A569A8460A5.jpeg
    1E9525CA-4E43-4803-BE69-2A569A8460A5.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 14
In the first wave of configurations and analysis, I've run into a frustration regarding the T-MOBILE "Tablet SIM". Apparently, T-Mobile blocks that SIM on CAT18 modems. CradlePoint does NOT have a workaround for it.

From others, including the engineers at CradlePoint, a full-sized DATA ONLY SIM is what is needed. :rolleyes:

UPDATE 1/22/22: CONFIRMED!
Got ahold of a fantastic upper level engineer at T-Mobile, and we confirmed that it is, indeed, the plan that the "Tablet SIM" is on that causes the system to block connections from CAT18 modems!

Once he re-provisioned the card to a simple 5GB DATA plan, I was able to connect without a problem.

We did this temporarily since it didn't affect billing at all. This is only for testing because I'm not about to pay $50/mo for a 50GB plan. I have other things in mind. But at least I'm able to put this mystery to bed and share with you.

Last edited:

CRADLEPOINT MC400-1200M-B 4G LTE (Multi-Carrier) Modem​

For my RVF friends, I'm selling the expansion modem a steeply discounted price! This gives you TWO simulataneous carrier connections, as well as doubling the amount of SIM slots.

Check out the classifieds!

Latest resources

Back