Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I saw a YouTube video not long ago where he said how it's more affordable to buy a beef loin and cut your own steaks of your desired thickness instead or prepackaged steaks. Anyone done or doing this?

IMG_4976.jpeg

Oh yeah! Been doing it for years. Also wet age them in the refrigerator for 4 or so weeks prior to cutting and freezing the steaks. Of course they need to be air tight bags. After cutting I also wrap the steaks in Press and Seal prior to putting them into a gallon sized plastic regular press & seal type bags. Suck out the air from the bag and they last a long time.
A butcher in the family said they will smell a bit musty but it works! My BIL also worked in the industry and had restaurants doing it for 6-7 wks. I'm too afraid of taking it out that long.
I typically go 4 wks and never had an issue. Several kinds of cuts available at Costco. Look at the end of the bag like on strip loins to note marbling.

The bags you buy are quite tough. I've done strip loins and tenderloins.

Here's some info via a Google search:
Now there is nothing wrong with wet aging. Wet aging is leaving the muscle to rest in a plastic bag in a refrigerated room. All beef needs at least 3 weeks to start to tenderize. Naturally Raised Beef needs more than 6 weeks because the animals are more mature when they are processed.

I saw a YouTube video not long ago where he said how it's more affordable to buy a beef loin and cut your own steaks of your desired thickness instead or prepackaged steaks. Anyone done or doing this?

View attachment 18542
We have been buying Prime Rib and Tenderloins from Costco for years. We find their beef is awesome and it's far more economical than buying from a supermarket.

Darrell

We have bought two halves of long horn from a farm around our home area. Worked out to a little over $3.00 per pound.

Get half of everything and like it better than angus etc.

Needed a new stand alone freezer for it but they will cut the way you want if you go that way as well.

All vacuum packed when we picked it up.

I found the video.

My RV storage lot owner also runs a farm and offered me a side of beef I think it's called (half cow) but I had to decline as I just don't have the freezer space. I remember my parents doing this when growing up and it was the best beef ever.

Being from BBQ country, this is common place. Buy bulk and cut the way you like them. What I do is wait for prime rib to go on sale, cut the rib bones off (leaving extra meat 😉) then cut into 1 1/2 - 2" steaks and cryovac for camping. You'll never want a "regular" ribeye steak again. Yes Neal, you are on the right track. Blessings

Did it for years! But lately I have been leaning vegetarian. I visited Smart and Final and bought the cut I wanted. A side of beef just has to much I didn't want.

Latest resources

Back