• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

DaveO

I am doing a buildout of a Nissan NV200 and would like to add cameras - I am trying to figure out if I could merge dash cams with security cams. Ideally, I would like to have front, cabin and rear driving cams in case I get into an accident or get pulled over. But I would also like to have security cams near the roof on the sides and back to see outside while I am parked. What opinions do folks have on this? Should I try to merge both into one system or should I keep them separate?

Amoque

Just Idling Around
RV Year
RV Make
Outdoors RV
RV Model
250RDS
RV Length
32.25'
TOW/TOAD
2015 Ford F-350
Fulltimer
No
I think that typically the difference will be the cord length and "immediacy" of access to the footage. I looked at several dash cams before purchasing. Mine records to MicroSD, has a 36" USB cord, and will transmit video via Bluetooth to my phone. I would imagine that trailer mounted camera/s would need to have some mechanism for extended range, power and storage (MicroSD isn't waterproof or very handy atop the roof). I've seen multi-camera systems, but there are too many options for me to make a recommendation (besides, I'm too cheap to invest in one :)) and with the various systems you'll need to look at range, power, screen size, and other operational preferences.

I would be interested in hearing about any units you consider...

DaveO

So I am going to give Wyze a try. They have outdoor, water proof, small cams with an SDCard for about $32, with a 6' cord that I may need to extend.
I can pull video onto a phone app...but they do not support 'push' to a FTP server which would be ideal - that way it could be harder to steal the files, since they
would be on a FTP server, hidden away inside. I should mention that they do support 'push' to their web service, for a monthly fee, but I may not have internet
connection, and was looking for 'push' to a hidden, local FTP server - they claim that they may support something like that in the future.

I just can't find exactly what I want...so I have to live with what I don't get, do the trade off thing.

Amoque

Just Idling Around
RV Year
RV Make
Outdoors RV
RV Model
250RDS
RV Length
32.25'
TOW/TOAD
2015 Ford F-350
Fulltimer
No
So I am going to give Wyze a try. They have outdoor, water proof, small cams with an SDCard for about $32, with a 6' cord that I may need to extend.
I can pull video onto a phone app...but they do not support 'push' to a FTP server which would be ideal - that way it could be harder to steal the files, since they
would be on a FTP server, hidden away inside. I should mention that they do support 'push' to their web service, for a monthly fee, but I may not have internet
connection, and was looking for 'push' to a hidden, local FTP server - they claim that they may support something like that in the future.

I just can't find exactly what I want...so I have to live with what I don't get, do the trade off thing.
Perhaps a Bluetooth connection to one of these? Best bluetooth storage devices would be satisfactory. Not the range of wi-fi, but USB/Bluetooth adapters might be fitted to regular USB cords of some length. Not sure - throwing everything I can think of out there.