Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

NW-Dstar

RVF Regular
Chelan WA (most time) Indio CA (sometimes)
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutchstar 4018
RV Length
40'
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
450 L-9
TOW/TOAD
RAM Rebel 1500
Well count me in as one of the victims of DEF head failure. I had DEF related failure this past July was towed 90+ miles this while still under the 3 year towing coverage. Unfortunately the local Freightliner dealer determined the issue was DEF heater thermostat was stuck and replaced the thermostat only. 4 month later exact same issue driving on hot day with plenty of DEF in tank get LOW DEF warning, Followed by Very LOW DEF and subsequent derating. Fortunately I was less than 100 miles from destination we were able to limp in to Indio. Since Freightliner would not tow they verbally offered to reimburse me for repair. I locally obtained the correct DEF head and source a very reliable local repair place to install on-site. Last week I sent in a very reasonable claim for the parts and labor associated with the repair total: $2234.75. Today I'm told out of goodwill they will reimburse me only $1500.
Am I wrong to expect them to cover the full price of the part: $ 1365.43 and the full labor price $ 869.31 to replace?

5 year 70k mile warranty on emissions related repairs. I was denied coverage, I called Freightliner customer service , they contacted dealer and it got straightened out. BTW the DEF heater loop solenoid valve is directional, if they didn't verify correct hose connections it will fail again.

5 year 70k mile warranty on emissions related repairs. I was denied coverage, I called Freightliner customer service , they contacted dealer and it got straightened out. BTW the DEF heater loop solenoid valve is directional, if they didn't verify correct hose connections it will fail again.
Well I'm in direct "email" contact with Freightliner rep, problem was it wasn't done by Freightliner so they claim they will not reimburse me for factory list price of parts nor full repair to include ecu update and regent needed to clear errors. Where can I find out more about deterining directionality of the heating loop as I think I could verify myself.

thanks,
/.d

Well I'm in direct "email" contact with Freightliner rep, problem was it wasn't done by Freightliner so they claim they will not reimburse me for factory list price of parts nor full repair to include ecu update and regent needed to clear errors. Where can I find out more about deterining directionality of the heating loop as I think I could verify myself.

thanks,
/.d
I would ask Freightliner for a diagram of the coolant hoses and valve.

Whats the current status of this and what year/model is your coach? I may have some useful info for you and can tell from what you've written, you have received some bad information and proabably paid for unnecessary work and maybe parts.

Hope all is well and you're back on the road. Id like to discuss you situation further with you, and while it will not likely result in recouping any of your costs, I may be able to help you avoid future issues and associated expenses.

Well always looking for good news.
2020 MADP 500HP I6
thanks

Well always looking for good news.
2020 MADP 500HP I6
thanks
Steve, Freightliner or Spartan?

If FL, you are probably ok with just keeping your tank between 1/2 and full, and using box DEF less than 1 year old, preferably 6 months or less. Learn and use the date code for those suppliers that don’t just print the date in plain text. FL seems to have worked out their DEF Header (FL term) problems by then.

For Spartan, in 2020 (probably 2019 chassis) they were still using gen 5 and 6 Shaw Development DEF heads, and these have proven to be problematic. I haven’t read of any gen 7 failures, but I haven't been paying close attention in the past few months.

Whats the current status of this and what year/model is your coach? I may have some useful info for you and can tell from what you've written, you have received some bad information and proabably paid for unnecessary work and maybe parts.

Hope all is well and you're back on the road. Id like to discuss you situation further with you, and while it will not likely result in recouping any of your costs, I may be able to help you avoid future issues and associated expenses.
It's a 2019 Dutchstar on Frieghtliner Chassis. I paid list price for the parts direct from local freightliner dealer (Velocity Tolleson AZ) Since Frieghtliner never informed me to engage them prior to acquiring the parts, I simply paid list price for the parts and what I believe reasonable installation fees for onsite work that avoided a tow. The current status is Frieghtliner refused to reimburse more than $1500 total for parts and installation. Therefore, I'm out of pocket $734 on parts and labor. That was months ago, rig has run fine since but Frieghtliner wants me to bring it in to verify hose routing. Heading out on road again in 2 weeks. Let's hope the DEF error stay away.

Steve, Freightliner or Spartan?

If FL, you are probably ok with just keeping your tank between 1/2 and full, and using box DEF less than 1 year old, preferably 6 months or less. Learn and use the date code for those suppliers that don’t just print the date in plain text. FL seems to have worked out their DEF Header (FL term) problems by then.

For Spartan, in 2020 (probably 2019 chassis) they were still using gen 5 and 6 Shaw Development DEF heads, and these have proven to be problematic. I haven’t read of any gen 7 failures, but I haven't been paying close attention in the past few months.
- FL chassis - is there a way to identify the Sen 7 def sensor heads? I have heard before that the Gen 7 were doing well, just want to check. I am not with coach, will check chassis build date this week.

I really have never used box def, I carry 1 box for emergency use and change it every 3 months, but generally on my last coach I was doing 1500 miles a month on average and always fill def at truck stop.
Thanks

You have an entirely different product, FL has their own supplier (in part or in whole from TE Connectivity) - not Shaw, and FL doesn't identify them by generation, just part #. The good news is that by 2020 FL had a fairly more DEF Header. Some still have problems, but its not like the Shaw Development debacle.

Latest resources

Back