• Commercial/Vendors welcome

DEF life span and quality considerations

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The DEF tank has a heater. Not sure what temp it heats to.

The other option is to TEST your DEF. I actually own a refractometer, it's in my pegboard bay, I have yet to use it. When I get back to storage I should test it and see what it reads. I invite others to test your DEF as well and reply with your findings and share your practice of DEF management as described above and let's see what kind of statistics on DEF quality we can come up with.
I have a refractometer and have used it on jug DEF. My question is how would you get a sample out of your rv tank that is half full? I guess you could snake a hose down and siphon a bit out but I would sure be careful about contamination.

The bigger question I have is how will the refractometer determine “quality?” IIRC, it will simply determine that the sample being tested has all the chemical characteristics of DEF. Help me understand the “quality” aspect.

TJ

I have no idea what the r-meter does. Haven't used it yet.

An instructional video

A lot of chatter on the web of late regarding DEF. While I don't know the details or causes I have a concern on DEF quality based on how many maintain DEF in their RV's. A lot of people like to keep their DEF tanks full, some may let it go down one indicator value such as 1 dot out of 4. Camp Freightliner pushes the rule of thumb to let it go down to two dots (half tank) prior to filling. I'm nearing the end of a long trip and I recently let my DEF get a little lower than normal, intentionally. I wanted to go lower but chickened out.

The concern many have is crystallization of the area above your DEF level. My concern and the reason I let my DEF get down to 1/2 tank prior to filling is DEF concentration, or quality. DEF has a lifespan, it does not last forever, from what I understand. If the DEF is not completely cycled out of your tank then over time you are effectively diluting your DEF by adding new to old, constantly. DEF should effectively be at a 100% concentration, in layman's terms but if you are only adding a 1/2 tank of new to 1/2 tank of old each time, what is your net effective concentration?

If I could I would drain my DEF tank annually and fill with fresh DEF. I haven't looked at what it would take to do this but my concern is growing that over time we are just reducing the quality of DEF in our RV's. My understanding from FL is you can actually run out of DEF and still travel 1,000 miles to get to a location to get DEF. I don't want to be the one to test this nor have I heard of anyone that has but the point is the system is designed to let you completely run out and not immediately de-rate you. I need to work harder on letting my DEF level get lower so I can ensure a higher concentration of quality of DEF is in my system.

The other option is to TEST your DEF. I actually own a refractometer, it's in my pegboard bay, I have yet to use it. When I get back to storage I should test it and see what it reads. I invite others to test your DEF as well and reply with your findings and share your practice of DEF management as described above and let's see what kind of statistics on DEF quality we can come up with.

Thanks Neal. I see your point. As usual you are so knowledgeable and so willing to share. Went to the link and bought it!

What’s the average mpg for DEF? If you could figure that out, the one could easily determine how much DEF to add at each fuel stop. If you could keep your DEF refills in sync with fuel refills, that would make life easier I think.
I did a round trip to Florida in the past two weeks. Drove 2100 miles and used roughly 12.5 gallons (5 x 2.5 gallons jugs). So I’m getting around 170 mpg.

The Refractometer tests the fluid concentration of urea, should be 32.5%.

Testing methods

Precisely! That goes to the heart of my earlier question; how does the refractometer test “quality/“. AFAIK, it simply tests the concentration of urea in the solution. Does it identify contaminants? I don’t think it does, but that’s why I asked the question. As long as the urea concentration is 32.5%, is that a “quality” check?

Inquiring minds want to know.

TJ

TJ, what is the "quality" of the gas you put in your car with respect to octane rating?

It is not about testing "quality" it is testing concentration. Our systems have DPF filters to hopefully remove contaminants (solids). The scenario I provided is mixing fresh def with "weak" def with respect to concentration. The same applies to auto gas tanks, what is the net effective octane rating if you don't fully cycle your tank? It was stated, yeah autos still run, sure, they don't require an exact octane rating. You may be putting 93 in (my Porsche) but what is the net octane rating actually in the tank? Will it run on 87, yes. My Porsche has been sitting for 6 months, do you think the octane in the tank is still 93? I don't think so. Same applies to DEF, let it sit in your tank for 2 years (being extreme), is it contaminated? No. Is it still "quality"? technically yes. Is it effective or of the proper concentration to perform its job? Will the DEF quality sensor pass based on whatever it's testing?

Choose to operate how you want. I cycle my gas for a reason (to purge the old) and will work harder to better cycle my DEF to ensure the proper concentration and effectiveness. Keep in mind some of these items attract water, i.e. ethanol! Apparently diesel has an issue with algae, which is why at times I put biocide in. Don't let your diesel run down then you are maintaining contaminants and possibly increasing them allowing them to grow, in my opinion.

There is another thread on truck stop DEF vs. boxed DEF. Many of us prefer truck stop DEF due to the turnover which probably also has a better concentration due to less shelf life. We don't know how long a box has been sitting on a delivery truck with no air conditioning, hot warehouse prior to the store shelf, and much less if it was tampered with as we've heard those stories. I will use truck stop DEF before I will resort to boxed DEF. I'm not concerned about contamination but I believe the effectiveness from the fresher DEF will be better than boxed.

As I was doing some research about how long DEF lasts there is a temperature constraint, if it gets hot then yes it reduces the life. The question is how hot is your DEF with the tank in the engine compartment? I don't believe they put DEF tanks near the engine in autos, in my 2017 Newmar Ventana the DEF tank is right near the Cummins diesel engine which gets very hot and it's also on the side of the coach, opposite the exhaust, where the after treatment (regen) occurs, which gets extremely hot. Bad location for DEF tanks? Possibly.

Latest resources

Back