Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Desperately need some assistance with my very own "low voltage" saga.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Hbizzle27773

RVF Newbee
So I have been full timing it here for a bit over a year, and until recently there wasn't much in the way of problems to speak of. However recently, particularly as the heat has gotten more intense, breakers both shore power and internal have been tripping, and it tends to be entirely random, as in I know I'm not exceeding the proper allotment. So it has become clear that we have a low voltage issue here among possibly other things and I say that because, using my suregaurd surge protector, it tells me and points out the low voltage when that is the issue and other times it doesn't. So it all came to a head today in particular when breakers were tripping while I was using almost no power whatsoever. Over and over and over until it happened and this time the suregaurd didn't just power off with a delay, I found myself with no shore power looking at the following on my monitor. Oh and by the way I am supposed to be getting 40 amp service.
16599199359006861845277087767929.jpg
so what us different about today is the following, now I'm used to the fact that the voltage that can be seen is nearly unacceptably low, but I have never seen what I'm looking at, where it almost appears one leg is entirely now missing and stuck at low voltage, please help any suggestions?

What is the power doing at the source (the pole where your coach is plugged in)? Is this happening at one location (park, site) or multiple?

And how heavy of a gauge is your power cord from the shore power? Long runs of thin extension cords cause a voltage drop . . . which ups the amps requirement which . . . trips breakers.

Rick

111 volts is quite low, almost 10% low. That will cause a larger amout of amps to bedrawn for the load. Does this happen often or just this campground? I'm guessing the campground is having issues and needs some maintaining.

Not sure what can be done…. But a Hugh’s Autoformer would be great to have at this point….

I agree with the above that you should look at everything from the RV out including your shore cord, the pedestal, and the source to the pedestal. “As the heat has gotten more intense” suggests that the increased draw on the system by others may be causing your issue. Also 40 amps is an odd power source for a park, and “allotment” is an odd choice of words for power use, so I also wonder if this is a park or some other arrangement? It is also always helpful to know what RV you are in.

Latest resources

Back