Chassis
F550
Engine
Titan V10
TOW/TOAD
2020 Polaris Slingshot
Fulltimer
No
I’ve been watching a company called Edison Electric up in Canada. There building a diesel electric tractor trailer for the logging industry.
There putting a smaller Diesel engine in to power a generator. There adding quite a few batteries and electrical drive motors. The generator supplies power to the motors, but in high demand the batteries cut in. Quite interesting.

So interesting a motorhome manufacturer has given them some investment money according to their social media.

This type of technology is not new. Trains use the same type technology, but it is kind of new in the truck world.

I'm interested in the trials that have started here on diesel-hydrogen hybrids. I think hydrogen is more likely to be the future for things like long haul trucking than EV.

BNSF has been doing this for a while with their locomotives.

Back in the mid-1990's International trucks let me drive their battery powered prototype. It drove just like a golf cart. 0-55 in about 6 seconds!! Back then the truck still had one of their T444E V8 diesel engines under the hood but it stayed at idle the whole time just to charge the batteries. The batteries took up the entire length of the frame rail on both sides of a 24' dry freight box body. They had 10K lbs of cargo in the box. I was amazed at the power.

As far as I know nothing ever happened with this technology. The batteries were too big but at the time that's all that was available I guess.

I’ve been watching a company called Edison Electric up in Canada. There building a diesel electric tractor trailer for the logging industry.
There putting a smaller Diesel engine in to power a generator. There adding quite a few batteries and electrical drive motors. The generator supplies power to the motors, but in high demand the batteries cut in. Quite interesting.

So interesting a motorhome manufacturer has given them some investment money according to their social media.

This type of technology is not new. Trains use the same type technology, but it is kind of new in the truck world.
Would not work in California. No more generators! (Not that anyone wants to live in California!!!)

In the world of physics and engineering, To get a certain mass to a certain speed with resistance figured in, it takes a certain amount of energy. Where that energy comes from is the only variable. The manufacturing of electricity and batteries are usually left out of the equation. And if you removed government subsidies, the energy would cost the consumer about the same. I will say that the D.E.Q. has forced the engine manufacturers to build more efficient engines so that's a good thing. As far as the Co2 crisis goes, .04% of the earths atmosphere is Co2. 2% of that is man made. Seems like there is plenty more to worry about. Just my .02 (.20 adjusted for inflation)

In the world of physics and engineering, To get a certain mass to a certain speed with resistance figured in, it takes a certain amount of energy. Where that energy comes from is the only variable. The manufacturing of electricity and batteries are usually left out of the equation. And if you removed government subsidies, the energy would cost the consumer about the same. I will say that the D.E.Q. has forced the engine manufacturers to build more efficient engines so that's a good thing. As far as the Co2 crisis goes, .04% of the earths atmosphere is Co2. 2% of that is man made. Seems like there is plenty more to worry about. Just my .02 (.20 adjusted for inflation)
Preach! but not too loudly or the "disinformation" folks will come after you.

Latest resources

Back