• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Diesel Laptops Handheld Heavy-Duty Diesel Diagnostic Scan Tool with DPF Regen

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
For those that have no idea what is being discussed here, a nice video on DPF by Banks,

interesting video. I have a ‘17 F250 PSD and its been trouble free with none of the emission issues I’ve encountered with my ’16 FL Chassis coach. At this point I’d call Ford’s version of this system bullet proof, I never know when it’s in regen, and it doesn’t seem to matter, while I still consider the FL system fragile and in need of constant monitoring and care.

I am plugged in and can’t find a day stream anywhere. Rich I followed your steps to auto/ manual search. Data stream is not there. I just bought my unit three weeks ago new. It can’t need a flash already, can it?

I am plugged in and can’t find a day stream anywhere. Rich I followed your steps to auto/ manual search. Data stream is not there. I just bought my unit three weeks ago new. It can’t need a flash already, can it?
Since your rig is a 2019 your DH will probably never need an update. As far as live data goes, I’d have to go out and go through the commands and pages to find it - I can never remember all the functions and commands of all my electronic devices. Same with my TPMS, dash cam, ME-RC, etc. Its all trial and error for me. And occasionally referring to a manual as a last resort.

You can view stream being discussed at about 4:20 on this video Diesel Laptops Handheld Heavy-Duty Scan Tool with Regen (as long as you can ignore the gang tats)

The only difference between what you showed and I had to do was at the manual search command I had to select engine first to get to aftertreatment. Maybe I went to datastream and then engine then aftertreatment.

The only difference between what you showed and I had to do was at the manual search command I had to select engine first to get to aftertreatment. Maybe I went to datastream and then engine then aftertreatment.
That was also back in August (I just checked) so its no wonder I forgot all about that. The best live data I’ve seen was with OTR but as I probably mentioned the $600 annual subscription pushes the cost-benefit envelope. The Diesel Decoder (same company as the handheld) will display readings from all 672 sensors (or however many there are) and while thats impressive, its a bit of a chore sorting through all that stuff to find that which you seek.

Last edited:
I just checked my diesel laptops tool while sitting here at Gaffney awaiting service tomorrow. My data stream soot threshold is 79%. Not sure what that means. Is that some level at which a regen will occur or is that my current level? And is this out of 200%? Still trying to learn when and if I should do a parked regen.

I just checked my diesel laptops tool while sitting here at Gaffney awaiting service tomorrow. My data stream soot threshold is 79%. Not sure what that means. Is that some level at which a regen will occur or is that my current level? And is this out of 200%? Still trying to learn when and if I should do a parked regen.
Ive been saying parked and forced regens are the same thing up until a couple months ago when I discerned a slight difference. I now understand that parked regens are when the rig is calling for it (HEST and/or the DPF lamps lit), perhaps because you’ve interrupted an active regen, or maybe just because the soot level has built up to that point. If you are a trucker you park and flip the switch on the dash and regen away, but since we RV’ers can’t be trusted with such conveniences we would have to resort to the shorting plug. Forced regens occur when you use some external device such as the DLHH or any other adjunct that can initiate a regen through the J1939 connection whether it says it need it or not.

So. Since your’e at 79% soot load (yes out of 200% as I understand it) but you aren’t getting the audible “ding” or any indicator lights (HEST, DPF lamp, etc) on the dash, you’d have to do a forced regen to clean it out, which is fine because you can. And if I noticed I was at 79% I would do it too.

According to the cognescenti over at OTR you can’t hurt anything by doing non-demanded regens early and often, and in fact the more the better. For truckers they suggest monthly forced regens. I put it on my calendar as a monthly reminder, but when I’m not driving much I obviously dont bother. And even when I am driving a lot, if the majority of my driving is freeway (highway, four lane whatever) I still don't bother. But if I drive a lot of back roads (which I prefer) or end up driving through a lot of towns resulting in a lot or stop and go driving, I do my forced regens periodically.

So in your case Neal, I’d do a forced regen. Turn that soot into ash and keep your DPF happy and healthy. I don’t like waiting until the ECM demands it because then you are under a time constraint to get it done before you start down the derate path, which is never fun.

So much for trying to use the right term haha!

My question though is what is the 79%. I think we learned that 100% isn't the top end.

I'm just trying to monitor the value but I'll likely do a forced regen if when I get home I don't see a change in this value in the right direction. I want to see the system doing its own thing but have no problem cleaning up when needed for safe keeping.

So much for trying to use the right term haha!

My question though is what is the 79%. I think we learned that 100% isn't the top end.

I'm just trying to monitor the value but I'll likely do a forced regen if when I get home I don't see a change in this value in the right direction. I want to see the system doing its own thing but have no problem cleaning up when needed for safe keeping.
I just edited the above - its my understanding as well that 200% is actually 100% for whatever reason so 79% is actually 39.5%. Makes perfect sense, right? You probably will see lower values after a good freeway run on the way home and that would be a good system test. And if its in active regen and you interrupt it you’ll know. So this would be a good test case.

its crazy that we are still adapting to all this and I was thinking the other day that it would be nice if the chassis manufactures got together with the EPA, engine manufacturers, component suppliers, DEF producers, etc and published an honest, factual document that lays out the actual indisputable facts about each iteration of the emissions systems so we would all have a set of facts we could count on instead of relying on guessing, trial and error, and the internet rumor mill. And dealers could provide said document at the time of sale so consumers would be fore-warned and informed. Instead we have the exact opposite and are still playing guessing games with stuff that can leave us stranded. Oh well, there’s some Makers Mark calling to me so… rant off. Cheers!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back