• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Diesel Prices Are Going Up Really Fast

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The Open Roads card worked well for us on our recent trip.

Two fill ups using the card and saved $80 total from the pump price.

Much better than anything else close to the highway along the way.

Did you include your credit card or bank's service charge for currency conversion? Not likely. Banks and credit card companies don't do anything for free. In Surrey/White Rock BC yesterday diesel was $1.90. The gallon equivalent is 1.90 x 3.785 = 7.19. The actual conversion is 1 US $$ = 0.7298 CDN so the gallon equivalent is $5.24 The current bank conversion rate, including service charge to convert, is here Foreign Exchange Currency Converter - RBC Royal Bank

1 gallon (128 0unces) = 3.785 litres

Did you include your credit card or bank's service charge for currency conversion? Not likely. Banks and credit card companies don't do anything for free. In Surrey/White Rock BC yesterday diesel was $1.90. The gallon equivalent is 1.90 x 3.785 = 7.19. The actual conversion is 1 US $$ = 0.7298 CDN so the gallon equivalent is $5.24 The current bank conversion rate, including service charge to convert, is here Foreign Exchange Currency Converter - RBC Royal Bank

Not all credit cards charge for currency conversion.

There's no conversion charge if I use my Visa or Mastercard in Mexico or Canada but check the wording in the fine print. It's not a currency conversion charge, it's the prevailing daily rate plus 2.5% service charge or convenience fee
Not all credit cards charge for currency conversion.

Check the wording in the fine print. It's not a currency conversion charge, it's the prevailing daily rate plus 2.5% service charge or convenience fee

Ours don’t.

We have REI cards (Capitol One) and United Air miles cards (Chase). We travel extensively in Canada since my wife is from Alberta. The No fees thing was what we looked for primarily in credit cards.

Yah that’s about right. Vancouver has that pesky transit tax so it’s expensive there. It’s considerably cheaper in other parts of the province. But yah. 1.90 is steep.

Attachments

• E880A2FA-790F-42B1-BAFB-BA6827083C8F.jpeg
    E880A2FA-790F-42B1-BAFB-BA6827083C8F.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 0
I find that I can use Gas Buddy to check prices in other towns. When traveling, I work out when and where I will be refueling and check prices in that town, a few towns prior and post stopping. Generally this works pretty well. Typically I get fuel from Sam's since I park overnight in their lots. It's more convenient to top off fuel when stopping overnight rather than waiting until I need to refuel or run out of fuel. Unfortunately, Sam's does not always have diesel, so I need to look around a bit for diesel. For the bus, I can skip a night of refueling if need be. I have created a POI list of Sam's clubs and note on them if they have diesel (G/D) or just gas (G) along with if overnight stays allowed (usually yes). The Gas Buddy app allows me to see where the best price for fuel is in almost any town. It would be nice if more people would update the prices. I only believe prices that have been updated less than 12 hours ago.

As of this morning (when we got gas for my Jeep) our local prices for Sam's Club (NM) were:
Reg $3.059
Prem $3.659
Diesel $3.659

Sam's club is the lowest price in town today for both gas and diesel.

In Lubbock TX (170 miles away and in another state), Sam's Club prices for today are:
Reg $2.799
Prem $3.199
Diesel $2.959

In Brownfield, TX (130 miles away and in another state), The Valero is the cheapest in that town as of a few minutes ago:
Reg $3.129
Prem $3.899
Diesel $3.449

I just checked prices without ever leaving.

Latest resources

Back