• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Heariam

RVF Newbee
Discretely directing my buddy/love - pondering

So I ask him - how much weight can your truck tow? It’s a 2018 Chevy Silverado 5.3l 1500 with max a towing package. 11500lbs is what I have come up with. But there are 2 different weights in the camper world. Just like on our motorcycles fully loaded.
We have been cross country motorcyclist for the past 15 years. This past year we have some health issues. Year before in May 3000mi on our bikes and then June 5000mi. Many adventures together, miles and miles of riding.
I am entertaining RVs and all the info I can gather.
So how does that weight factor in with a camper loaded? ?
5th wheels pull easier….right?
So
Heariam

Cutting to the chase, if you are thinking about towing a 5th wheel of any size, you should not be thinking about a 1/2-ton truck! Not enough brakes, suspension or transmission to do it safely despite any numbers a truck salesman (or your buddy) might throw at you.

TJ

Agree with TJ. I have a 2019 GMC Sierra with 5.8l. While I've towed a 9,500 lb trailer with it multiple times, I would say that I was white knuckled more than once. Put that same load behind my buddies F350 and it's a whole different ball game.

As for what tows better, yes a 5th wheel tows better, but that also depends on what size camper you are thinking about. Given your biking history, I would suspect you might find your self looking at toy haulers so you can throw the bikes in the back and have them with you too. In that case, you are going to need a larger (and heavier) 5th wheel to get that capacity - which means a bigger truck.

Agree with TJ. I have a 2019 GMC Sierra with 5.8l. While I've towed a 9,500 lb trailer with it multiple times, I would say that I was white knuckled more than once. Put that same load behind my buddies F350 and it's a whole different ball game.

As for what tows better, yes a 5th wheel tows better, but that also depends on what size camper you are thinking about. Given your biking history, I would suspect you might find your self looking at toy haulers so you can throw the bikes in the back and have them with you too. In that case, you are going to need a larger (and heavier) 5th wheel to get that capacity - which means a bigger truck.
Thank you so much…..kinda what my husband said - I will have to get a bigger truck. ? Yes I have been looking at toy haulers
too lots to think about.

Thank you, gotta get a bigger truck. Gas mileage goes out the window in every travel too.

Latest resources

Back