Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI Do you pre fill your oil filter when changing the oil?? Is it a mistake??

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Joe Hogan

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4311
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Well this is an interesting topic for us nerds.... but there are some valid points to filling the oil filter using the holes that ring the outer edge "dirty side" of the filter rather than the big (convenient) hole in the center ...:)

Last edited:
I do using the peripheral holes. Not the center one.

Hmm!. I have never filled the oil filter at all. I have thought about it. I letit fill from the engine. I have been doing it that way for 48 years. Never had a problem.

Watch the big rig mechanics do it. They just fill it and don't worry about where. None of us will ever wear out the engine anyway, we spend to much time on this forum!!:rolleyes:

I have filled using "all" the holes, including the middle!
As I've gotten older, I don't fill it full, as I tend to wobble & spill it as I go to attach it!:oops::oops:

This is a great question. In my opinion unless the engine is “dry”, as in fresh rebuild, I now just install a new filter empty.
If you choose to fill the filter use the small holes around the edges. This oil will go through the filter element.
The oil in the large hole in the center will go straight to the engine internals. Typically not a big deal unless bits of the sealing foil finds it way into the large hole.
Look it up on the internet.
People and dealers claim that they have toasted engines because that foil, even a small bit, finds its way to the wrong place.

Latest resources

Back