Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

lindaghiringhelli

RVF Newbee
Does anyone tow a travel trailer with a Dodge Durango? We’re considering a Durango instead of a larger SUV. With the 5.3L, there’s enough power to tow our small trailer, but I’d be interested in hearing from someone who has already tried it. What about towing mirrors?

I towed behind a Dodge Dakota with 318 with 3spd/overdrive. If you have Same transmission never tow in overdrive. Dodge claimed 10500lbs gcvw. That's pushing it. Same chassis.

The 5.3L might be able to move the trailer but can you safely stop it? Are you going to get thrown around in heavy winds or pushed around going down hills and around bends? What's the payload of the Durango vs the trailer tongue weight and the weight of all your passengers and gear?

IMO the main issue you'll run into is running out of payload. Claimed 'towing capacity' is a marketing number that is meaningless unless you are towing something 4 down (another vehicle or a farm style wagon trailer for example).

When towing a TT you have to carry the tongue weight, which will likely be higher than the manufacturers specs which is based on a base model that likely doesn't exist. I've seen numbers as high as 3x manufacturers spec due to options/dual propane/dual batteries and the like.

That said, I towed a 16' TT with a nissan frontier for a few years. It worked okay, I was nearly at the payload limit.

As far as mirrors, I'd stay away from most universal mirrors. The mounts tend to be poor and shaky.

Does anyone tow a travel trailer with a Dodge Durango? We’re considering a Durango instead of a larger SUV. With the 5.3L, there’s enough power to tow our small trailer, but I’d be interested in hearing from someone who has already tried it. What about towing mirrors?
How big is your small trailer? Weight, length, and tongue weight?

I use my 2013 Lexus GX460 to tow our 23 ft travel trailer which has a tongue weight of 490 lbs and weighs 3520 lbs and it works great. We have done trips from Texas to Utah, Colorado, etc., and it works great. I follow the manufacturers guidelines and only drive 65 mph while towing and use a WDH, towing mirrors, and Timken helper springs. Here is a link that shows what I added to it to help make the towing experience great, including the mirrors I use for towing which stick on to your existing mirror and do not shake while driving. If its a newer model Durango, our towing capacities look pretty close (Durango 5.3L = 6200 lbs according to Google, GX460 = 6600 lbs towing capacity).

I calculated my GVWR for my SUV and Trailer combined and I am well within my limits for capacity even with the trailer fully loaded, here is a link where I discussed it with another member below.

Towin Capacity and GVWR

My Vehicle

towing mirrors

1676721010344.png

Does it have the factory tow package? That makes a difference. I've been towing my Clipper 17BH with a Durango for the last 4 years and I barely feel it, but mine's a 5.7. I'm upgrading to a slightly bigger trailer and it should be fine but I don't have it yet to provide real-world info. There's a "Dodge Durango Campers" Facebook group if you're interested...

Latest resources

Back