Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved Dometic Heat Pump - what's the loud grinding noise?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Maybe thats why my rear AC failed on the last trip. The guys at National RV Refer said the compressor was running but it had no charge. Since 99.9999999% of techs wont work on these units and the few that will wont warranty their work, I opted for a new one ($1750 installed). But I brought the old one home and Im determined to either make it work so I have a complete spare, or part it out for the other high failure rate parts.

Neal,
Oscillation like that may break the copper lines, and you will have an expensive problem.
Secure the best you can and look at the other AC’s and fix if needed.

The question is where is the root cause of this oscillation? It appears the blower fan is not aligned or something so it's generating the oscillation, but why? How did it get out of alignment? I'll have to go up and check into that further another time. I realize this A/C is nearing end of life at 5+ years old so I'm not overly worried about it, I expect to have to replace it in the near future (1-2 years at best). But I will see if I can find the cause and resolve that to prolong its life. For now the freon lines are stabilized and the unit is silent again.

Hope you are wrong about end of life. I sold my last rig at 5 years, but with the mods I made on the inside the A/C was better than ever. There was a guy at the Service Center, getting his A/C's replaced at 17 years. 5 years is ridiculous. So I hope you get much more use than that.

I sure hope to report back in 12 years it's still going.

You probably need to pull the cover and pull the fan motor. Then you can pull the squirrel cage out and see what is going on. I just fixed one yesterday for a guy in the campground I'm in for almost the same symptoms. There was enough dirt built up on the cage it was out of balance. It's actually a pretty simple repair.

I pulled the lid yesterday and checked both. In the affected system I ensured everything was secure and it was and I was asking myself how can this thing get out of round. I think you have the answer. It will be 104 today so that ain't happening but cool off tomorrow I'll get up and check it out. Thanks!

I found mud dobber nest lumps of dirt in my AC. If one built a nest on the rotating part, it will throw it out on balance.

You probably need to pull the cover and pull the fan motor. Then you can pull the squirrel cage out and see what is going on. I just fixed one yesterday for a guy in the campground I'm in for almost the same symptoms. There was enough dirt built up on the cage it was out of balance. It's actually a pretty simple repair.
Inspected and everything is clean. Various components are on anti-vibration shock mounts. Anything out of whack can cause the vibration. All is good now, simple fix and good to find before the high frequency vibration resulted in failure (or insanity).

Latest resources

Back