Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
Against the sage advice of many on this forum especially @TJ&LadyDi in a recent post, I opted to drive most of the 9 hours to Southern Cal. Bad choice. When we stopped at a Walmart, the parking lot was dark and I sideswiped a black car maneuvering into a parking space that I didn’t even see. Damage to both. I was tired. Lesson learned. Daytime driving only preferably and no more than 8 hours switching drivers. The DW is getting more comfortable behind the wheel so it will be easier.

Ouch, Sheridan. So sorry to hear about the mishap. Fortunately, it can all be fixed and there were no injuries.

TJ

Against the sage advice of many on this forum especially @TJ&LadyDi in a recent post, I opted to drive most of the 9 hours to Southern Cal. Bad choice. When we stopped at a Walmart, the parking lot was dark and I sideswiped a black car maneuvering into a parking space that I didn’t even see. Damage to both. I was tired. Lesson learned. Daytime driving only preferably and no more than 8 hours switching drivers. The DW is getting more comfortable behind the wheel so it will be easier.
Sorry to hear this.

Bummer @sheridany but the pride is hurt much more than anything else. The other things you can fix, trust me, you know I'm famous for this. But sharing these lessons is gold and I thank you and others thank you to help save someone else from this. I learned the lesson terribly about tail swing in Naples, FL among the usual onlookers that love people coming and going. I put on a good show and drew quite the screaming audience. Newmar fixed me up and all is well again. It happens, it will happen again to many of us. Time heals, you'll be fine and all will pass.

There’s always some irony in our experiences. The owner‘s car was the manager of the Walmart store! He’s a really nice guy and he will be taken care of. Good thing I wasn’t planning to spend the night there. In the spirit of asking the store manager for permission can I park here tonight and oh by the way....

Last edited:
Ugh. Come on over @sheridany. I’ll whip up some old fashions and we can commiserate together. Long hours definitely don’t help. I max out at 6 hours.

Learned early on my limitations driving an RV. Now I follow the 2-2-2 rule. Plan on a maximum of 200 miles a day, Arrive at the camping spot by 2 p.m. and stay two nights.

When in transit mode I try to hang around 300 mile legs. Usually about every other day I stay for 2 days to relax and then start all over again. 2x 300 mile legs is a half tank of diesel used and time to top off again.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back