• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tip Don't give up on campground reservations

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We went to a "No Refund' policy at Deer Springs RV Park because this practice has gotten totally out of control.
Actually, it's a "No Refund" policy with leeway. Here is exactly what our policy says on the website.

"If you contact us 14 days before your reservation date, and if we are able to rent your space to another visitor, the full amount you paid will be credited to a future stay."

So, there's no actual money being refunded, but if the site rents to someone else, we'll be happy to give you a credit that you can use on a future stay. That way, nobody is out anything.

But if you call the day before your supposed to arrive, it's unlikely we'll have time to rent the site, and you'll just be out of money. Now that said, I'm not without compassion when the occasion warrants it for it.

Last edited:
Ouray was very good to me, I had to pay in full as I touched Labor Day weekend. I had the breakdown and that is one of their accepted reasons, I sent them the invoice proving the breakdown and they refunded in full. Very pleased with their customer service.

Now that school in back in session and fall is here, it seems like there are plenty of spaces available up the northern coast. I booked the first four nights to start our coastal cruise but after that I think we’ll jist take it one stop at a time. Seems like the pressure is off.

We drove from Austin Tx to central NH with no reservations and always found something acceptable when we were ready to stop. I think one reason was that we stopped early, around 3pm, so there was more general availability. Things always seemed to fill up by 5:30 or 6pm. This also made for relaxed afternoons, a little nap before pulling out the grill, and feeling rested the next morning as we set out for another 350-400 mile day.

We were somewhat concerned on Sat July 2nd (very busy weekend) but got in to Williamsport/Nittany Mountain KOA on a cancellation (veering back on topic) that was immediately filled by someone arriving Sunday for several days. So we lucked out since we only needed Saturday night. Also the pull-through section there is away from the main camping area so we enjoyed a nice, quiet evening, which would have been impossible in the main camping area.

In central PA: New Columbia, Pennsylvania Camping Photo Albums | Williamsport South / Nittany Mtn. KOA Holiday
I only have one pic from it but you can see from the view, the pull through section is on the edge of the park in a pleasant location over-looking a field where folks can run their dogs off leash and just enjoy some open space.View attachment 13655
Sounds like great travel and I love your rig. I am just getting started looking at a class A for travel this summer. What do you typically pay for campsites?

Sounds like great travel and I love your rig. I am just getting started looking at a class A for travel this summer. What do you typically pay for campsites?
$60/night is a typical target, sometimes we pay more, sometimes less. To pay more it has to be an above average CG, or an average KOA which is always a bit more but predictable. But I prefer to seek out smaller, private CGs that are a little out of the way. Its just usually a nicer experience and I don’t like big busy CGs.

I paid as little as $20 w/ FHU last year in AZ, but that was a bit dumpy and between the RR tracks and highway and we only stopped there because of the time of day. And really aside for the lack of aesthetics and amenities, it wasn’t any different from the more expensive CGs - full hook-ups and no hassles. And there was a somewhat scary but good/cheap Mex food truck there too.

I also like Country and City parks which may not have hook-ups, but are often at or below $20 and sometimes free, and usually quite nice with some local feature or attraction. State parks off the beaten path are also usually a bargain and often near water. Also COE CGs are a good bet, but usually will not have hook-ups. Even if they don’t have hook-ups, these will often have water and a dump station. USFS CGs are typically designed for smaller rigs so I usually don’t even look at them anymore. I like them but I like easy access better.

To add to Rich's post, you can sign up for Passport America (like $75/3 yrs) and get 1/2 off normal CG charges and usually $20 cash /night. They have rules for which days and how many but it pays for itself in a couple nights.

To add to Rich's post, you can sign up for Passport America (like $75/3 yrs) and get 1/2 off normal CG charges and usually $20 cash /night. They have rules for which days and how many but it pays for itself in a couple nights.
This is what I have and I think its the same thing but $80 for a lifetime pass for over 62 years old. 4CE5C650-5B77-4E5C-AF27-AC8447A02957.jpegEB89A7DA-67D5-4FC4-9AAB-80655462144E.jpeg

$60/night is a typical target, sometimes we pay more, sometimes less. To pay more it has to be an above average CG, or an average KOA which is always a bit more but predictable.
We are the same way at our campground, but only in reverse. We have a target price, but if the visitor is above average, the price will be adjusted accordingly.

You, by the way, have worked yourself into the $45-$50 a night range . . . :)

We are the same way at our campground, but only in reverse. We have a target price, but if the visitor is above average, the price will be adjusted accordingly.

You, by the way, have worked yourself into the $45-$50 a night range . . . :)
Your park seems like it would be about double that. For me it would be ideal and the next time I am in the region I’ll be stopping by for a few days.

Latest resources

Back