Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

3xPoppa

RVF Regular
We are beginning our first cross country trip in our Winnebago Vista Class A this weekend. I have a couple of rookie questions; 1) Do you leave the water heater turned on while you're driving? 2) When connected to "city water" do you leave the water pump turned on? I notice there is higher water psi with the pump on, but I thought the pump was used only for the onboard water supply. Thank you in advance for your replies.

No. Turn your water heater off. You DO NOT want the gas running or the pilot light lit when you stop for gas. The flame can light the gas fumes around the pump.

When connected to city water you need to turn your pump off.

My advice? Get out your owners manual and read it! All this and more is there for your reading enjoyment. ;)

EZ is correct. When you're attached to city water you "should not have to" turn on your water pump. However ... if the water pressure is low you can use the water pump to augment the water pressure if needed. I don't do it very often but when I do it's usually to take a shower. The faucets have never been an issue. I'm not sure about your RV but if I use the water pump in addition to city water it pulls the water from my fresh water tank.

Is your water heater just gas, or is it gas and electric? This makes a difference. If it will run on electric and gas and you normally run it on electric then it is no big deal to leave it switch on when you unhook from shore power and start your days drive. Of course some makes/models are set up a little different.

Water pump is for use when using your fresh water tank. Should be turned off when hooked up to city water/fixture.

In traveling South in the winter I run my gas furnace until we get above freezing temps. Most of our RV's have the gas appliances on the passenger side. I make a point to fill up at the outside pumps when needing gas to avoid fumes from another pump being a problem. This has been debated a lot over the years but it works for me and I believe is safe.

When connected to City water, and will be out for the day with no one in the coach, it is a good practice to turn off the water pump and the city water.
If you spring a leak with you gone, it can cause lots of damage.

What a can of worms!!!

How much do you want to worry? I kept the refrigerator on and turned it off to fuel in the day I used propane refrigerators. I never leave the water heater on unless I am going to use it. And... I use a brick heater not a furnace so it is only used when I am planted. This was true when I had a MH and is still true today.

I have always thought it would be good to have a water heater made for a sailboat with engine heat transfer capabilities but never wanted the work to do it.

Can't really see a reason to leave water heater on while driving. Mine heats up within 10 minute, so just turn it on upon arrival and by the time you are done setting up, presto, you can take a shower. I do keep the refrigerator on (propane) while driving however.

Hi All, As always "THANK YOU" for your honest feedback and valuable information. Have a good day! And Be Safe out there!

Travel with water heater OFF. Ours is heated by engine exhaust while underway, saving energy once we reach our destination. (y)

Latest resources

Back