Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Well we did 442 miles today. Not planned but the campsite we planned on staying at was not as advertised. Not even close!
So we headed down the road another 3:30 to Meagan State Park. Nice clean comfortable spot.
We had some interesting events along the way but got here in daylight and setup camp.
Long day.

I hate when that happens, glad you made it before dark

Especially now that we're retired I try to keep the daily distances no more than 300 miles if possible.
We're not in any particular hurry to get anywhere.

Yes, around 300 miles is a good distance. We try to arrive between 2and 3 pm. That also helps if things go wrong like in the above case.
I plan too far ahead, it seems.
We had to cancel one stop, find one and reschedule two others.
Luckily it is slow here in the South. Lots of availability.

My rule of thumb is 9 hours or 450 miles (less in the winter months), and I am ready to climb out of my seat doing a handstand. I do not go into parks I have never been to before at night. A friend of mine is on his way home in Florida from Sturgis, and he said he drove 830 miles on the first leg. It's hard to imagine sitting that long and not hating it. I pre-scout the campground using google earth as best as possible before getting in there. I do not like tight fits or lots of trees since I mostly drive solo. Planning and scouting is key.

Well we did 442 miles today. Not planned but the campsite we planned on staying at was not as advertised. Not even close!
So we headed down the road another 3:30 to Meagan State Park. Nice clean comfortable spot.
We had some interesting events along the way but got here in daylight and setup camp.
Long day.
Been there and done that too! These days the dog and my navigator would have rebelled had I made those miles! I know what's good for me so I woulda stopped hours before even if it was just a wide spot in the road! :) Sorry the first park didn't meet your standards.

Darrell

Long day.
What was wrong with the park you planned to stay at?

The “park” was a wooded area with large deep wash outs in the road that was once paved./gravel. Broken down trailers scattered around. Some appeared abandoned.
No defined camp spots. A camp host that was pleasant enough but you would cross the street if he was approaching you on a sidewalk.
The entrance was a very steep dirt path into this mess.Gave the appearance of a scrap yard from the road.
May have been a nice turn out at one time long ago but clearly not managed as a business for years.
The advertisement showed nice grassy spots near a lake! Could not find where that picture might have been taken. It was not at this location.

I can drive as many hours as needed, that’s never been an issue for me. However, I need daylight to set up. I don’t think that there is anything worse than setting up in the dark while my blood supply is being reduced to a dangerous level by mosquitos.

The years we were traveling full time we always tried to keep our daily runs at 350 or below. That has actually carried over to motorcycle travel and car travel now. Just like getting to a campground and setting up in the middle of the afternoon, it is pretty nice to check into a motel around 3pm after a slow relaxing day on the road.

Latest resources

Back