• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tip Driving Lesson

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I own TWO Blackvue 4K dashcams. 1-channel for the coach, 2-channel for the toad. Highly recommend and also a large capacity microSD card. I have 512's in mine. Whatever dashcam you choose make sure it's 4K, ever seen crime videos that are grainy and you can't identify someone, or read a license plate in our case? You also want a dashcam that is always on. My former Garmin 65W only recorded when events were detected. It found it's way in the trash. These also serve as security and continue running while parked so they are recording activities around the campsite and forward/back of the toad wherever it goes. Here is video from my toad Blackvue:

OK I’ll share my most significant episode from the last trip. While tooling down Hwy 9 in Vermont at about 50mph, a car pulled out from a side street on the right, making a left in front of me, and heading in the opposite direction. It was kind of close but nothing new so it didnt bother me. Then the car behind him followed him doing the same thing!

It took every ounce of strength I had to mash the brake pedal to the floor, locking up the breaks on the toad (but not the coach), creating a big cloud of blue smoke behind me, and the thing I can’t get out of my mind is the image of the kids faces in the back seat looking out the window at a wall of motorhome coming at them and managing to stop just a couple feet before tee-boning the car.

The two of them looked absolutely petrified, and rightfully so. I was at a complete stop and the driver of the car just continued on like nothing happened as the smoke from the toad tires rolled forward around the coach. I didn’t think to check the dash cam til a couple days later and I guess that section of video was over-written. It would have been interesting. Especially any audio captured at the moment.

I have a 4k dash cam that has front and rear cameras and it has a built in GPS for speed detection and display. I got mine from E-Bay, but it seems to be not available anymore. Well worth the price! Here is a short video of an oblivious girl in a hurry to get into McDonald's........

Latest resources

Back