Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

lone

RVF Newbee
I'm not sure if it is possible but I would like to use a second (auxiliary battery) battery to power the ACC for inside the vehicle lighting along with using the alternator to charge the second battery and the starter battery by the alternator. I believe I'd need to use a dc-dc charger and possibly a battery selector switch.

If my direction is not a good way to accomplish my goal then suggestions would be great. I've included graphics that may explain better what I'm trying to do.
Thank you,
Lone
all_devices.png

Instead of a DC to DC charger that would use more power than it would produce, couldn't you use a diode close to the second battery so that it would not be able to back feed the chassis battery?

A dual battery isolator will separate the starting battery from the ACC battery. The alternator will charge the starting battery first, then it will charge the ACC battery.

The only time you need a DC to DC charger is with lithium batteries.

And I can't see your in your diagram where the pos from the solar hooks into the system. But IMO you don't want it on the starter battery at all. It should just go straight to the house battery. Alternator with relay will charge house when driving and solar will charge house when not driving.

Latest resources

Back