• Commercial/Vendors welcome

(dumb) question about winterizing

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I've read that a lot of people keep their RV plugged in over the winter. If you unplug your RV be careful when you turn your battery dis-connect off it may still draw parasitic draws from the battery if you don't remove it...like the co2 detecter, microwave clock, etc.
On another note, I have a separate hose on my water pump specifically designed for antifreeze - I just need to turn a valve at the pump to get it to work.
do you disconnect your positive terminal in yours and do your batteries retain their charge ?

There was a long discussion on another thread about batteries. Most said that a fully charged battery will not freeze. With a disconnected a negative terminal any draw is eliminated. The other common thought was to bring the battery inside the house and store in a warm area.
I know many people use chargers all winter. For me (that means my opinion), I don't trust that set up. Leaving something plugged in and mostly unattended, just makes me jumpy.
Let us know how we can help.
Ken

There was a long discussion on another thread about batteries. Most said that a fully charged battery will not freeze. With a disconnected a negative terminal any draw is eliminated. The other common thought was to bring the battery inside the house and store in a warm area.
I know many people use chargers all winter. For me (that means my opinion), I don't trust that set up. Leaving something plugged in and mostly unattended, just makes me jumpy.
Let us know how we can help.
Ken
do you disconnect the positive or the negative terminal ? I thought the positve....

Negative is what we do. No sparks when hooking it back up if something was left on I was always taught not to complete or break or make a connection using the positive terminal. Even with jumpers, most will attach the positive first, then the negative. Just reverse with taking them off. Disconnect the negative then the positive.
Ken

Negative is what we do. No sparks when hooking it back up if something was left on I was always taught not to complete or break or make a connection using the positive terminal. Even with jumpers, most will attach the positive first, then the negative. Just reverse with taking them off. Disconnect the negative then the positive.
Ken
thanks...I think I'll just disconnect the negative terminals, unplug it and rest easy. Thanks all

I take my battery out and bring it home for winter storage. That way it doesn't drain dead and also nobody can steal it while in storage

Ken
Negative or positive, if a current is flowing, it is an equal value in either one when disconnecting or connecting. I don't see why/where disconnecting either one would minimize sparking.

In automotive work, it is a safe practice to always disconnect the negative terminal. Then if something comes in contact with the positive side, nothing happens. If while disconnecting the positive side, should the wrench come in contact with a frame member, lots of sparks fly. I have a friend who lost his wedding ring and finger as a result of it coming in contact with the positive battery cable and chassis ground at the starter. He had the wrench in his left hand, it was in contact with the ring, he put the wrench on the starter terminal, not realizing the back of his hand and ring were against the chassis. The result happened in a flash. That little band of gold became liquid around his finger. All had to be surgically removed.

Always disconnect the NEGATIVE first!

Latest resources

Back