• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Kcarte68

RVF Newbee
Hey everyone!
I recently purchased a used Fleetwood Rv. It's a 1998 class C. I noticed that when plugged to shore power I get a hum from the breaker panel. Specifically it is the "general purpose" breaker. When I flip it off the hum goes away. My question is two fold. 1, what does this breaker power? I can find no diagrams in the owners manual.
2, is the hum normal, or should I be replacing?

Thanks for all your help!

Kyle C.

Set that breaker to "off" and then go looking around to see what no longer operates. The hum could possibly be a failing breaker or a loose ground or neutral wire inside the breaker panel.

Hard to say but if it's humming, it will be a breaker for a big demand appliance, probably the air conditioner.

Rick

Set that breaker to "off" and then go looking around to see what no longer operates. The hum could possibly be a failing breaker or a loose ground or neutral wire inside the breaker panel.

Hard to say but if it's humming, it will be a breaker for a big demand appliance, probably the air conditioner.

Rick
Thanks for the response. I shut off the breaker and all the big stuff kept working. Microwave, A/C Fridge.. all stayed on. Very odd. Will have to attack outlets with the volt meter and check connections in the panel.

Could be the transformer in the converter. Older ones had saturable core reactors for voltage regulation. They ran hot and likely hummed. New ones don't work that way.

Oh, the reason it hums.........it doesn't know the words to the song.

It was warm. Not a scary kind of hot, but warm. Am I ok to keep the breaker off? Just trying to figure out what that breaker is responsible for.

It would be helpful If it could at least cary a tune! Lol

I can hum a few bars if you can repeat the sound . . .

I agree with Bob - likely the big transformer with the stacked plates in the battery charger / converter that is humming. The newer chargers are switch mode power supplies, not linear power supplies. The switchers are light weight and run cooler but are notorious for creating electronic noise that is rich in harmonics - horrible for amateur / ham radio usage, quite often.

I predict that if you leave that breaker open, you won't be charging your batteries.

Rick

When off look for your twelve volt interior lights and such to not work if the coach is plugged in. Our original converter hummed pretty darn loud and was in the compartment right under my head when in bed. I changed it out for a newer one with a fan. It still has a hum but I really have to listen for it and basically don't noticed it anymore. I've yet to see or hear the fan come on. It doesn't heat up the compartment nearly as much as the old one did plus it has regulated battery charging where the old one would happily boil the batteries dry. Though I didn't technically really need it, I am very happy with my upgrade.

When off look for your twelve volt interior lights and such to not work if the coach is plugged in. Our original converter hummed pretty darn loud and was in the compartment right under my head when in bed. I changed it out for a newer one with a fan. It still has a hum but I really have to listen for it and basically don't noticed it anymore. I've yet to see or hear the fan come on. It doesn't heat up the compartment nearly as much as the old one did plus it has regulated battery charging where the old one would happily boil the batteries dry. Though I didn't technically really need it, I am very happy with my upgrade.
what did you upgrade it to, thinking of doing this myself

I bought a Progressive Dynamics 60 amp one from another forum member here who changed theirs out for lithium compatibility. It worked fine for about three months then flat quit. I opened it but found nothing that appeared DIY repairable. I tossed it. The only bright side is I kept the old converter. Stuck it back in and we're back to humming. So I guess the lesson would be to buy a new one and get the warranty. I'll probably take another shot at one some time later. The original isn't great at battery charging and I have to monitor their water more. No big deal for me though. I miss the notably less warm compartment with the Progressive one as much as anything.

Have you isolated the hum to the breaker or the inverter? Totally agree with above quotes on older converter / inverters humming. My coach is older (2007) and the converter/inverter/ charger does hum. This is normal and not of concern. Also what brand circuit breaker is it? There are cases where the breaker could hum under load while this is not desirable it is not always a problem. Make sure all connections are tight to the breaker, neutral and ground buss. Loose wires can cause heat and arcing which can lead to burned out devices and fires. FYI 48 years in the circuit breaker industry.

Latest resources

Back