Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

neuman1812

RVF Newbee
Hi folks, I've run into a weird electrical issue and I'm not quite sure where to start.

This last trip I was on, I found that if I stood on the ground barefoot, and touched any metal part of thr camper, I was shocked. Wearing shoes I was fine.

All 4 stabilizers were down, on a 30amp breaker, so I'm assuming there's a short somewhere, but I'm not sure where to start. I do have a multimeter for testing.

Screenshot_20230629_175812.jpg

Coachman apex,

Rather than a short, what I think that you have is a missing ground or return to shore power.

Yup - not a short. More like a lack of ground. I’d say it was the condition of your power source, not the trailer. Did it happen anywhere else? Mild shock, just enough to be annoying?

Get one of those typically yellow, 120 volt AC, open hot, open neutral and open ground tester plug in things at a 120 volt AC outlet. Cheap, usually, at Lowes or Home Depot in the electrical department near the multimeters.

It'll quickly and definitely reveal your problem.

Rick

My first step would be to see if you have the same result when powered up at a different location. As Rich W. pointed out your experience could be caused by the source you were plugged into. If the symptom persists at another location then the testing of your RV pointed out above would be next.

Here is a good source for EV Electrical info

Latest resources

Back