Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Benniesimmons

RVF Regular
Question. Should I keep my batteries on charge while in storage( or periodically start rv)? It sounds strange to have to do that but that is what I was told.

A battery maintainer, rather than a charger, would be more appropriate for long-term needs. Starting it periodically doesn't really help, as the time you let it run isn't long enough to recharge what was pulled out for the starting draw.

Roger

A small set of solar panels with a charge controller and your batteries will be no problem.

Rick

Rick can you give me a recommendation on which one? I see so many options.
A couple issues when storing, with solar maintainers.

Your lot should have a clear view of the sky! Shaded cells kill solar panels!

There have been mention of some Victron controllers that have a dead spot to aid in its use as a maintainer. You will have to talk to them to confirm that.

You're spending the money anyhow, so add 5 hundred watts for your convenience while camping. San Tan solar is an example of low cost used panels. There are others!

One of the 100 watt Harbor Freight solar panel kits with a charge controller will work - maybe $160.00. This will be plenty to keep your battery charged. Even one of these panels might be enough with good sunlight, certainly two of them.

Rick

One of the 100 watt Harbor Freight solar panel kits with a charge controller will work - maybe $160.00. This will be plenty to keep your battery charged. Even one of these panels might be enough with good sunlight, certainly two of them.

Rick
Why would you suggest hf panels? A PowMr 60 amp MPPT controller from Amazon is under 100 and 250 watt solar panels 50 on the used market!!! If you want a good deal HF is just wasting money.

Why would you suggest hf panels? A PowMr 60 amp MPPT controller from Amazon is under 100 and 250 watt solar panels 50 on the used market!!! If you want a good deal HF is just wasting money.
Not everyone has the knowledge to know what all the components needed and the right combinations. Kits that have all the pieces in a box(es) makes it possible for many others to try something they wouldn’t have the knowledge or confidence to do without the kit.
The reason I haven’t done DIY solar is my lack of knowledge on the topic and after a cumulative few days of reading have come to the realization that it is going to take much more time to understand how to make it all work in a scalable and cost efficient way.
Kits are attractive as a place to start, knowing it will work out of the box.
If you have suggestions of where to read that may shorten the learning curve, I am all ears.

Latest resources

Back