Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Davidratliffdvm

RVF Newbee
Problem with electronics all located above the driver seat. I have a 2021 Thor Venetian L40 and when I took ownership from the dealership the 2 hour walk through was useless. I’ve owned Class A’s since 2005 so the general operation wasn’t new. What was new was the electronics in the compartment above the driver seat. However, the retiree conducting the walk through knew how to push the remote on, but that was about it. There are 4 boxes, DVD player on bottom. Next is Stern 4x2 HDMI Matrix Switch, next the Winegard Trav’ler, and on top a Actiontec Wireless HD Video Transmitter. There are no instructions on operations I could find and the gentleman had no idea on operation. I thought how hard could it be. After weeks of trial and error on the four TV’s, never could get the satellite to connect and various other switching never worked. I decided to unvelco the set and turn it around. First I found a bad large thick HDMI connector that I assumed was damaged as the end was pulled into the RV from the roof, but the technician decided it would do and tucked it away. I think this must be for the satellite since it is a much thicker HDMI cable. The other HDMI cables on how they were connected with one input going into its on output. Does anybody know the correct routing and hookup? I’m not asking anyone to turn their boxes around and looking, I’m just looking for a schematic or diagram on proper connecting everything up. No cables are labeled. I know I’ll have to make a visit to have the messed up end HDMI cable replaced in the future, but I’m trying to get by until I do. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
David Ratliff
D14153B3-7E04-4978-B6C4-6EB391A3A9E7.jpeg
B764A3F2-DE9A-4B08-ACC0-FC09F8EF4679.jpeg

Yikes! That cable definitely needs to be replaced. I doubt you’ll find a wiring schematic or diagram specific to your RV.
Also, if you were saying that you think that HDMI cable goes from the satellite on the roof to the winegard receiver box, I think that is unlikely. HDMI would not be an appropriate cable for that. More likely, there is a coax coming from the roof into the winegard receiver, then the winegard receiver has an HDMI output cable that goes to the Stern switcher, and that has an HDMI out that goes to your TV.
That HDMI cable that you think is running to the roof is more likely running meant to run from the Stern switcher to another TV in the unit, possibly the bedroom. It’s going to be a pain to replace regardless.
Your DVD player should have an HDMI cable coming out of it and going into the stern Switcher.

think of it this way, all sources of audio and video should go directly to the Stern switcher whose job it is to allow you to switch between sources. Cables from the stern Switcher should go to each individual TV so that the switcher knows where to send the active signal.

Last edited:
@Davidratliffdvm I have a Winegrad Trav'ler so I can provide some help on that part. The SAT antenna on the roof will have / needs to have a "control" cable running from the antenna to the Winegrad Trav'ler box that is shown in your picture. There also needs to be at least one and up to 3 coax cables running from the SAT antenna into the RV. (The number of cables has to do with the SAT provider (Dish, Direct Tv, etc. ) and the number of receivers / TV's. The Coax(s) from the SAT Antenna need to run to a SAT receiver (which I do not see in you photo). A HDMI cable will provide the output from the SAT receiver to the TV. In your case the SAT HDMI output may run to your HDMI switch box as an input to that switch box.

The DVD player has a HDMI output that would go to an input on the HDMI switch box.

My guess is the HD transmitter is sending HD TV to a remote TV somewhere in the RV or perhaps an outside TV. You may be able to ID the remote TV by looking for the HD receiver that is likely near the TV is is supporting. In any case my thought is there should be a HDMI cable from an output of the switch box to the input of the HD transmitter.

My guess is the damaged HDMI cable is probably going to the TV closest to the overhead cabinet. I've never seen a field repair "kit" for a damaged HDMI cable, so my bet is that entire cable will need to be replaced. Once replaced the end in the overhead cabinet will connect to a HDMI switch box output.

In the mean time if you wanted to test your hookups and switch box you could just string a new HDMI cable across the RV from a switch box output to what ever TV the other end of the damaged cable goes too.

Hope this is some help.

Yeah, When I got mine home, I started looking at that HDMI switching system and decided to trash it and go with my Whole Home Direct TV System that was in the house. All of the TV's are connected to the main box wirelessly. It even works in the shed TV outside the coach 50' away. And the wife can even run it! Shhhhhh
I realize this is a late post but it's something to think about.

If you sign
Problem with electronics all located above the driver seat. I have a 2021 Thor Venetian L40 and when I took ownership from the dealership the 2 hour walk through was useless. I’ve owned Class A’s since 2005 so the general operation wasn’t new. What was new was the electronics in the compartment above the driver seat. However, the retiree conducting the walk through knew how to push the remote on, but that was about it. There are 4 boxes, DVD player on bottom. Next is Stern 4x2 HDMI Matrix Switch, next the Winegard Trav’ler, and on top a Actiontec Wireless HD Video Transmitter. There are no instructions on operations I could find and the gentleman had no idea on operation. I thought how hard could it be. After weeks of trial and error on the four TV’s, never could get the satellite to connect and various other switching never worked. I decided to unvelco the set and turn it around. First I found a bad large thick HDMI connector that I assumed was damaged as the end was pulled into the RV from the roof, but the technician decided it would do and tucked it away. I think this must be for the satellite since it is a much thicker HDMI cable. The other HDMI cables on how they were connected with one input going into its on output. Does anybody know the correct routing and hookup? I’m not asking anyone to turn their boxes around and looking, I’m just looking for a schematic or diagram on proper connecting everything up. No cables are labeled. I know I’ll have to make a visit to have the messed up end HDMI cable replaced in the future, but I’m trying to get by until I do. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
David RatliffView attachment 4922View attachment 4923
Not sure if you have this taken care of but if you sign up for Thor's owner resources there is a schematic for your rig.

Latest resources

Back