Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Macca

RVF Regular
Hey there, a newbie to the camping van world. I bought this old but pretty good condition roadtrek. Its a 92 Dodge 350 1ton. I would just like to talk to someone with some experience here about the electrical system on this rig.
1st- The manual shows a battery cut off switch on the panel with the water pump, but on mine there is no switch there. No switch anywhere I can find. So Im not sure if I need to do anything when plugging in the shore line. Would this year have a different system that doesnt require a cut off switch?
2nd- There is one marine/RV battery hooked up and I see another positive battery cable so it looks like I can have two batteries down there. Should I have two batteries or is this just an optional addition?
3rd- Is there any reason the engine can not be running while the shore line is plugged in?

Ive been trying to read the manuals but what seems like a simple thing to answer seems not clear at all on these old manuals.

Thank you in advance.

That does look like a standard window unit. I would assume it does not run off of an inverter just due to the age of the rv, inverter and batteries were pretty archaic compared to current technology so probably only works off of the 30 amp service. The good news is new units are much more efficient than 1992 technology and if you were to upgrade to lithium batteries and comparable inverter you might get some off shore power use from it. There are also 12v AC units in the industry now but I haven't heard any reviews on how well they work or what kind of drain they put on a battery bank. Guess it all depends on how much you want to upgrade the old coach's capabilities.

Latest resources

Back