Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

End of trip report - avoiding exhaustion?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I finally was able to head out after moving my mother back home from a condo fire damage above her flooding her unit. As I wanted to be back to help my disabled sister and her husband move, I couldn't be out long and also obligations coming around Labor day. I long hauled from Richmond, VA to Oshkosh, WI for the annual airshow event I've been enjoying and the excitement enroute. The trip home I was able to break up the days to around 3-4 hour drives which was far better, but I'm still absolutely exhausted arriving home today, well, that's in part from not sleeping last night and a 0445 wakeup for a 0600 doctor appointment.

I certainly learned more about my new LiFePO4 setup with more dialog with SES as the wiring flow is different from previous. It's nice to run air conditioners while driving without the need for GEN.

Now about exhaustion. First off, I still have not figured out how to pack for a trip without thinking I'm not setting foot outside the coach for 6 months! Loading and unloading to this day, 7 years later, is still the worst part. It's a home on wheels, why in the world do I do this? Why can't it just remain stocked? I need to solve this problem! The next part of exhaustion I learned from the full timers here is that you have to stay places for an extended period of time, i.e. a week or more otherwise all the travel just wears on you and I can vouch for that. While I enjoy new scenery and moving around, it is quite exhausting and something to be aware of.

A short trip for me but more lessons learned such as with my check engine light saga, various dialog shared with the insightful gang here, and learning the new electricals on my coach.

Keeping the wheels turning...not sure when I'll get out next but we will see what's next up.

I finally was able to head out after moving my mother back home from a condo fire damage above her flooding her unit. As I wanted to be back to help my disabled sister and her husband move, I couldn't be out long and also obligations coming around Labor day. I long hauled from Richmond, VA to Oshkosh, WI for the annual airshow event I've been enjoying and the excitement enroute. The trip home I was able to break up the days to around 3-4 hour drives which was far better, but I'm still absolutely exhausted arriving home today, well, that's in part from not sleeping last night and a 0445 wakeup for a 0600 doctor appointment.

I certainly learned more about my new LiFePO4 setup with more dialog with SES as the wiring flow is different from previous. It's nice to run air conditioners while driving without the need for GEN.

Now about exhaustion. First off, I still have not figured out how to pack for a trip without thinking I'm not setting foot outside the coach for 6 months! Loading and unloading to this day, 7 years later, is still the worst part. It's a home on wheels, why in the world do I do this? Why can't it just remain stocked? I need to solve this problem! The next part of exhaustion I learned from the full timers here is that you have to stay places for an extended period of time, i.e. a week or more otherwise all the travel just wears on you and I can vouch for that. While I enjoy new scenery and moving around, it is quite exhausting and something to be aware of.

A short trip for me but more lessons learned such as with my check engine light saga, various dialog shared with the insightful gang here, and learning the new electricals on my coach.

Keeping the wheels turning...not sure when I'll get out next but we will see what's next up.
Simple rule, 2/2/2. 200 miles , 2pm landing gear down, 2 night stay, works for us

Neal, I need to start a new thread. How are you able to run your AC off batteries? Both of my units run off the main panel and will not function unless the genny is running or on shore power. When you did your upgrade was the panel/sub panel altered?

Great RVF motto: “Keep the Wheels Turning”. And you’re so right. As we mature a bit, those one and two day stays just don’t cut it. 4+ is comfortable. I also have a full compliment of clothes and stuff in the coach and I keep the pantry stocked with non-perishables. Then all I have to do is empty the home fridge and buy beverages, because try as I will, I can never keep them stocked at home.

Neal, I need to start a new thread. How are you able to run your AC off batteries? Both of my units run off the main panel and will not function unless the genny is running or on shore power. When you did your upgrade was the panel/sub panel altered?
My coach is now "always 50A" after my new LiFePO4 upgrade by Solar Energy Systems. I can run anything off of batteries/dual inverters now.

The next part of exhaustion I learned from the full timers here is that you have to stay places for an extended period of time, i.e. a week or more otherwise all the travel just wears on you and I can vouch for that. While I enjoy new scenery and moving around, it is quite exhausting and something to be aware of.

I struggle with this too. The problem is either I have limited time so need to get to where we are going, which leads to several days of back-to-back driving and overnight stays. Or I have extra time and don't really see anywhere interesting to stay for several days between me and my destination.

I think (hope) this becomes easier as you spend more time on the road. However, with our daughter still at home, we had limited travel time. She is off to college this year, and my wife and I both work from home, so we are hoping to be able to spend a lot more time on the road this year.

I think the biggest hurdle is storing the rig a distance away from home. We leave ours stocked...other than perishables in the fridge. Leave the fridge ON. Has it's own set of toletries, medicines, first aid stuff...even a few jackets and ball caps remain with the coach. The difference is...if I need to grab the voltmeter, or have an espresso...I walk around the side of our house...go into the coach (man cave mode) and it's there. No hopping in the car to drive to a storage lot.

I think it would be very difficult to leave everything in the coach between trips unless it happens to be located in close proximity...for those just in case moments.

Oh...and if you're not exhausted...you're not playing hard enough!

That said...Ronni has already negotiated a 1 hr limit on our bike ride this morning. To help with that exhaustion stuff...

I struggle with this too. The problem is either I have limited time so need to get to where we are going, which leads to several days of back-to-back driving and overnight stays. Or I have extra time and don't really see anywhere interesting to stay for several days between me and my destination.

I think (hope) this becomes easier as you spend more time on the road. However, with our daughter still at home, we had limited travel time. She is off to college this year, and my wife and I both work from home, so we are hoping to be able to spend a lot more time on the road this year.
Retirement should remedy most of these issues, but it doesn't...there's always other considerations. Things like overstaying in one location because you really aren't ready to leave yet, then having to rush to make your next scheduled destination. We like to plan longer trips at 250 miles a day (or 2:30), whichever comes first for travel days. Destinations are a week or longer so we can experience the area, or a month because we have things to do and places to go (like doctor appointments). Now, we have been staying for a season, doing volunteer work and getting to know an area really well. It's really amazing how proximity to a farmer's market or a Costco can influence our decisions on where to stop.

Currently, we are in Rhode Island for the summer and planning our trip to southern Alabama, with an arrival date in early October. I think there's plenty of time, but challenges keep presenting themselves, like taking in the Hershey RV Show in Pennsylvania and finding some time for a stay at Deer Springs RV Park. I remain optimistic!

All things considered, this life on wheels is pretty darned good. Even with the logistical issues of travel planning, mostly we're just dealing with first-world problems.

Next time we go to a mountain destination we are planning a few days to acclimate to the altitude. The first few days at Pueblo were difficult. Shaded the first few days of the event.
Now we are on the push home. My natural instinct is to get home….now.
Going on three weeks on the road, a month before we get home.
Lots of business and appointments to follow up on or attend.
Have to get ready for a trip north in September and Nappanee in October.

Latest resources

Back