• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Engine problem???

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I think the previous posters have identified the most likely scenario; bad fuel and/or contaminated fuel tank. That's why the engine only ran properly for about 70 miles; just long enough for the new filter to get clogged. Find a shop that is capable of doing a fuel analysis and I'm betting they will find algae and/or water in the tank.

A proper cleaning of the fuel tank and fuel lines will be needed, along with an algaecide additive to kill any remnants in the fuel system. Be prepared for a fairly costly job, sorry to say, as the shop will likely have to remove and clean (or replace) the fuel tank. You should check with your insurance company to see if they will cover some or all of the cost. You could have gotten some bad fuel somewhere along the way that set this issue in motion.

Good luck.

TJ
TJ brings up a good point. I think most of the problem comes from filling up with fuel from a place that has water or algae growing in their underground tanks!! A good practice is to NEVER fill up at a low volume gas station. You want one that is continually having fresh fuel put into their underground tanks. A high volume station is probably doing better maintenance on their tanks as well.

Back in the 2000's we had problems with Ford Commercial Trucks having algae in the fuel system for some reason. We didn't have it with the Internationals we sold, just the Fords. This algae will clog every fuel filter and if bad enough will clog the fuel lines too. Check the fuel tank with a flash light to see if you have any slimy looking stuff in there. It grows in between the fuel and any water that may be in the tank. There are treatments you can pour in to prevent the growth of this algae but I don't think it will get rid of it if you have a bad case of it. You may have to have the fuel tank power washed from the inside. You will need to flush the fuel lines and change all the fuel filters again if you have it growing in there.

One more thing, while going through this issue I was selling about 1000 Fords a year into the wrecker industry. Trucks were breaking down all over the country. Customers were pissed!!! It took us almost a YEAR to figure out what was happening. I had to call service managers all across the country to tell them what we had found so they could get my customer's wreckers fixed. We also found a fuel filter that didn't show up on the parts diagrams at the time. Ford forgot to show it so dealers didn't know to look for it!! It was the "sock" filter INSIDE the tank that Kevin mentioned above. If that "sock" filter is covered with slime it will starve the engine of fuel.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
Thanks I’m going to look into the algae angle. The fuel tank was dropped, steam clean and pump and filter replaced around 1500 bucks and still doing it. I want to think the mechanics know some of this. But I’m not sure. Gas was gotten at a busy flying j and I’m pretty sure that was ok. I’m still open to all of these ideas and passing them on to my mechanics. They are a bit stumped, as well. I love this rig and befor this it was pretty perfect

I think the previous posters have identified the most likely scenario; bad fuel and/or contaminated fuel tank. That's why the engine only ran properly for about 70 miles; just long enough for the new filter to get clogged. Find a shop that is capable of doing a fuel analysis and I'm betting they will find algae and/or water in the tank.

A proper cleaning of the fuel tank and fuel lines will be needed, along with an algaecide additive to kill any remnants in the fuel system. Be prepared for a fairly costly job, sorry to say, as the shop will likely have to remove and clean (or replace) the fuel tank. You should check with your insurance company to see if they will cover some or all of the cost. You could have gotten some bad fuel somewhere along the way that set this issue in motion.

Good luck.

TJ
I just passed this on to my mechanics. Thank you. Everyone on here has been so gracious and helpful. It is overwhelming. Nice to know there is still a lot of good stuff in 2020. Pam

I just passed this on to my mechanics. Thank you. Everyone on here has been so gracious and helpful. It is overwhelming. Nice to know there is still a lot of good stuff in 2020. Pam
We just want to get you back on the road and enjoying your RV. Sounds like you've done all the right things thus far. Hoping the solution is found quickly and the fix is inexpensive.

TJ

Back in the 2000's we had problems with Ford Commercial Trucks having algae in the fuel system for some reason.
Hey @"EZ" I was assuming Gas not Diesel. algae is a problem with diesel fuel. In the marine industry there are companies that filter your fuel tank to remove algae, so if you have the problem with a diesel rig I would recommend finding a company that can clean the tank without introducing any water. Then again you may not have been thinking of washing out with water right?

Hey @Pamschwindt I take it no codes. Codes would be there with fuel problems. No codes could be a faulty electrical connection. This is how this works:
The computer will not log a code, set the check engine light, or think there is a problem to report if the power goes off. The computer will think you turned the key off. Computerized cars are not that different from the old cars of yonder years. The mechanics are much the same, with the same reasoning behind them.

Fuel, air mixture, spark(ignition) electrical on gas compression on diesel. Any failure where a sensor is located and a code will be displayed. The only time this is not true is when the power is cut to the computer when the problem appears. So one more time, check the codes and let me know what they are. and a side note. a bad connection will get hot. as it gets hot you can get a disconnect at that location. An IR camera would assist with finding a bad connection if you have one or can borrow one. The flir camera for a phone is a great tool to own.

Pam,
It sounds like they have done everything I would have suggested as far as removing the tank, cleaning it out. Changing out the fuel pump and filters. Make sure they flushed out the fuel lines as well and also make sure they removed that "sock" filter in the tank or installed a new one. There is also a "hidden" in-line fuel filter along the frame rail that gets missed a lot because it's not always there for some reason. It's small and is usually hidden by wiring harnesses or fuel lines and such. Get a flash light and look along the frame rail from the tank to the engine. You may find it. Since the engine ran pretty well for 70 miles and then started the "limp home mode" reduced power again, I think there is a filter somewhere that was missed. Maybe not but I can't imagine what else it could be.

PLEASE come back to let us know what the end result is. I'm dying to know.

Hey @"EZ" I was assuming Gas not Diesel. algae is a problem with diesel fuel. In the marine industry there are companies that filter your fuel tank to remove algae, so if you have the problem with a diesel rig I would recommend finding a company that can clean the tank without introducing any water. Then again you may not have been thinking of washing out with water right?
I thought it was a diesel so the algae may not be the issue. But that just points even more to the filters, tank and fuel lines if it's a gas engine. A 1996 would be a throttle body more than likely correct? Could there be a hidden screen filter inside the throttle body that is still plugged? ?

Could there be a hidden screen filter inside the throttle body that is still plugged? ?
If a screen then you could not get it to run, well maybe but only at idle and rough at that.

If a screen then you could not get it to run, well maybe but only at idle and rough at that.
I was trying to think of a filter or something that they might have missed. I'm sure they got the obvious stuff. Surely they don't need to change out the throttle body? But then again I guess one of those injectors on the throttle body could be bad? Is it possible to take those injectors off and have them tested like you can on the other injectors? Make sure they are flowing the amount of fuel they are supposed to flow?

Latest resources

Back