Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Pamschwindt

RVF Regular
I have a 96 Winnebago adventurer with Ford engine. Just had fuel pump replaced as I had lose of power while driving on flat terrain. After about 70 miles problem has returned. Engine? Transmission? I’m not sure what it can be

Hello, and welcome @Pamschwindt . Sorry you’re having issues. I’m no mechanic, but I would have a look at the fuel filter and ensure it is not restricting fuel flow.

My thoughts, too. Had fuel pump and filters replaced and still doing the same thing. Thanks. Makes me believe I am looking at the right things just not sure what to do next. Thought catylitic converter but not even sure there was one in 96 lol

96' so fuel injection. Read the codes if any. Someplace around the steering column is a fuel relay, check that. Then look for loose wires all the way back.

Thanks SO much. I had not thought of that. I appreciate this
I think you have a fuel filter that is located along the frame rail somewhere between the fuel tank and engine. Be sure that filter is checked and/or changed.

Thanks I mentioned this to the mechanic and he said I didn’t. I’m trying to look this up to make sure. I’ve heard of this before

More than likely the only fuel filter is in the tank and part of the fuel pump.
Back in the 2000's we had problems with Ford Commercial Trucks having algae in the fuel system for some reason. We didn't have it with the Internationals we sold, just the Fords. This algae will clog every fuel filter and if bad enough will clog the fuel lines too. Check the fuel tank with a flash light to see if you have any slimy looking stuff in there. It grows in between the fuel and any water that may be in the tank. There are treatments you can pour in to prevent the growth of this algae but I don't think it will get rid of it if you have a bad case of it. You may have to have the fuel tank power washed from the inside. You will need to flush the fuel lines and change all the fuel filters again if you have it growing in there.

One more thing, while going through this issue I was selling about 1000 Fords a year into the wrecker industry. Trucks were breaking down all over the country. Customers were pissed!!! It took us almost a YEAR to figure out what was happening. I had to call service managers all across the country to tell them what we had found so they could get my customer's wreckers fixed. We also found a fuel filter that didn't show up on the parts diagrams at the time. Ford forgot to show it so dealers didn't know to look for it!! It was the "sock" filter INSIDE the tank that Kevin mentioned above. If that "sock" filter is covered with slime it will starve the engine of fuel.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

I think the previous posters have identified the most likely scenario; bad fuel and/or contaminated fuel tank. That's why the engine only ran properly for about 70 miles; just long enough for the new filter to get clogged. Find a shop that is capable of doing a fuel analysis and I'm betting they will find algae and/or water in the tank.

A proper cleaning of the fuel tank and fuel lines will be needed, along with an algaecide additive to kill any remnants in the fuel system. Be prepared for a fairly costly job, sorry to say, as the shop will likely have to remove and clean (or replace) the fuel tank. You should check with your insurance company to see if they will cover some or all of the cost. You could have gotten some bad fuel somewhere along the way that set this issue in motion.

Good luck.

TJ

Latest resources

Back