Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Engine won't turn over, and no electrical working at all. Hoping someone can help.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

WatsonWander

RVF Newbee
I have a 1995 National Dolphin Class A that I bought to use as a full time over the road home. I got it in November, but wasn't able to make the move immediately due to that just being how it goes sometimes. Anyway, several weeks ago (sometime towards the end of January or the beginning of February) I tried starting it up to make sure it was still good, and it wasn't still good. Engine didn't even pretend to try to turn over. I assumed it was a dead battery and changed it the next day. Didn't make any difference, so I did some googling and got the suggestion that it was probably the starter solenoid. Changed the solenoid no problem, and still no joy. More googling pointed me towards the alternator as a probable cause, so that was the next change that yielded zero positive results. One of my coworkers thinks I might need to replace the starter as it might be an ignition problem, but the headlights also don't work, and that leads me to think it's an electrical issue. I've spoken to several people I know who are way more knowledgeable about mechanics that I am and one of them suggested that the distributor cap was a likely cause of my problems. Well, the distributor cap certainly was in need of changing, but there's still no change. The same person suggested that maybe there was a battery disconnect switch that had been tripped, but I can't find one other than the "salesman's switch" that's located just inside the front door. Does anyone here have any ideas? I have located a second solenoid in one of the outside storage bins as well as what looks like a solenoid with fuses in the same place. I've attached a pic of this in hopes that it will be helpful to anyone reading this.

Attachments

• IMG_20220405_130131.jpg
    IMG_20220405_130131.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
The chassis disconnect is not on. That is why there are no lights and no starting. Follow the chassis battery positive lead and it should go to a disconnect solenoid or a big switch somewhere. It should start once you get the battery connected. If need be when you find the solenoid you can jumper the 2 big leads to get it connected if the solenoid is bad.

Those solenoids appear to be the chassis battery solenoids. Jumper the BIG lugs to get power. Check the fuses on the one on the left. The center silver one is the one I believe you would jumper. I think the other one is the chassis/house connect

You also might just have a bad starting battery. You said you charged it but maybe its not taking a charge. Have you tried jump starting it? If that powers everything up then thats the problem. Anyway it is not the alternator, certainly wasn't the distributor cap, and starters dont generally go bad from sitting.

So start at the source as stated above and follow the main positive battery lead to find the battery disconnect solenoid. A volt meter is helpful here, but a simple test light will also suffice.

Its either that or the battery itself, but even if the battery was weak, you’d still get dash lights and dim headlights. If it is completely dead and wont take a charge, jumping it would at least light everything up and then you’d know that was the issue. If jumpimg it doesnt light up the dash etc, then its the battery disconnect solenoid as stared above.

I have a 1995 National Dolphin Class A that I bought to use as a full time over the road home. I got it in November, but wasn't able to make the move immediately due to that just being how it goes sometimes. Anyway, several weeks ago (sometime towards the end of January or the beginning of February) I tried starting it up to make sure it was still good, and it wasn't still good. Engine didn't even pretend to try to turn over. I assumed it was a dead battery and changed it the next day. Didn't make any difference, so I did some googling and got the suggestion that it was probably the starter solenoid. Changed the solenoid no problem, and still no joy. More googling pointed me towards the alternator as a probable cause, so that was the next change that yielded zero positive results. One of my coworkers thinks I might need to replace the starter as it might be an ignition problem, but the headlights also don't work, and that leads me to think it's an electrical issue. I've spoken to several people I know who are way more knowledgeable about mechanics that I am and one of them suggested that the distributor cap was a likely cause of my problems. Well, the distributor cap certainly was in need of changing, but there's still no change. The same person suggested that maybe there was a battery disconnect switch that had been tripped, but I can't find one other than the "salesman's switch" that's located just inside the front door. Does anyone here have any ideas? I have located a second solenoid in one of the outside storage bins as well as what looks like a solenoid with fuses in the same place. I've attached a pic of this in hopes that it will be helpful to anyone reading this.
Check the ground strap by loosening it and clean with wire brush, it's probably corroded somewhat.

Latest resources

Back