DSDP 4326
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
ISL 450
TOW/TOAD
2023 Winnebago ERA 70A or 2012 Ford Taurus
Off the top of my head, I don’t know what brand they are, but I suspect Lippert.

After pulling into my stop for the night, something gave way and my steps are swinging free. The motor runs, but something isn’t hooked up like it’s supposed to be.

I’ll crawl under there tomorrow and take a look. What am I likely to find?

Off the top of my head, I don’t know what brand they are, but I suspect Lippert.

After pulling into my stop for the night, something gave way and my steps are swinging free. The motor runs, but something isn’t hooked up like it’s supposed to be.

I’ll crawl under there tomorrow and take a look. What am I likely to find?
Possibly the three bolts that hold the motor in place may have come loose thus the gears will not mesh. I doubt if the gears on the motor failed. I suspect the gear on the step is worn. This happened to me about four years ago. I was able to get a machine shop in New Orleans to rebuild mine. The machinist told me that it was just made of mild steel. He reinforced ours during the repair.

Good luck

Darrell

1). You could have lost the cotter pin that hold the pin in the clevis that connects the motor to the steps.
2). Someone might have stepped on the steps as they were moving and it stripped the motor gear.

Either of these will just let the steps swing freely.

It sounds like the arm from the motor to the steps has become disconnected.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I was able to check things out a little better and found the linkages are intact. So, I must have stripped gears in either the motor or the gearbox. Today’s mission is to going to be to find a way to strap them out of the way while in travel mode. I’ll get them repaired when I get to FL.

Here is the controller. I carry a spare motor and controller in my spares kit. While I may not need it, someone else may as happened at the Balloon Fiesta and @Richpatty had an issue needing a controller. Good to have on hand for self or others. Kwikee is about as reliable as OASIS.

Amazon product ASIN B002LLE5WK

Here is the controller. I carry a spare motor and controller in my spares kit. While I may not need it, someone else may as happened at the Balloon Fiesta and @Richpatty had an issue needing a controller. Good to have on hand for self or others. Kwikee is about as reliable as OASIS.

Amazon product ASIN B002LLE5WK
I have spares as well. Purchased them before I discovered that the gear teeth were worn down.

I believe it is just a repurposed power window motor from some American made car.

I believe it is just a repurposed power window motor from some American made car.
Yes it is. I bought mine at NAPA. It is an 80s Ford left front door glass motor. I think I paid 30 or 40 dollars for mine. Once I had the original removed I recognized it for what it was (some of my career was dealing with car parts). If any one wants the NAPA part # I can probably dig it up.

Darrell

Latest resources

Back