Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

XC Couple

RVF Regular
I have a 2006 Aspect and the decals are faded and chipping. The paint is in excellent shape. I was trying to decide if I should order new decals or paint over the decal areas. Has anyone out there made that decision and how did you go about it?

I have a 2006 Aspect and the decals are faded and chipping. The paint is in excellent shape. I was trying to decide if I should order new decals or paint over the decal areas. Has anyone out there made that decision and how did you go about it?
I had a 2004 Wind Star with faded decals. I didn't have any luck finding the stock decals and was left with either having the local decal guy make them ($$$$) or painting them myself. So I painted them.

I lightly scraped off the edges that were chipping, and then sanded the decals with some very find sandpaper. Then masked it off accordingly and painted it. I had the color mixed at the paint store and pained mine with a brush. I suppose you could spray them, if you can find the color you want in a spray can.

I'll see if I can find some pictures and if I can, I'll post them in a subsequent post.

Couldn't find the "before" pictures, but rest assured, the decals were really bad! Here are a couple pics, first one is after I painted and was removing the tape. The other one is after it was finished. Only took about 8 hours over a couple of days.

paint.JPG

paint1.JPG

Attachments

• paint3.JPG
    paint3.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 12
Wow, I had no idea that these were decals. rather than paint. I can know see why you would attempt to repair rather than replace.

I had a 2004 Wind Star with faded decals. I didn't have any luck finding the stock decals and was left with either having the local decal guy make them ($$$$) or painting them myself. So I painted them.

I lightly scraped off the edges that were chipping, and then sanded the decals with some very find sandpaper. Then masked it off accordingly and painted it. I had the color mixed at the paint store and pained mine with a brush. I suppose you could spray them, if you can find the color you want in a spray can.

I'll see if I can find some pictures and if I can, I'll post them in a subsequent post.
Thanks Jim,
I kind of thought that's what I would have to do. To replace the decals I figured I would have to do some scraping and sanding and then apply some type of sealer or primer to resist moisture. And then there's the cost of the decals. I was leaning toward by painting the spots over (same scraping and sanding prep work) and just not ready to pull the trigger until I heard from someone who did it. Pictures would be great if you can find any. Many thanks again for the advice.

Thanks Jim,
Pictures would be great if you can find any. Many thanks again for the advice.
The only pictures I have are the ones I already posted above. Good luck!

Excellent job. I hope mine looks as good. Thanks for the advice.
Rich
It will. Just take your time, don't rush through it. Use good painters tape, like that green frog stuff, or that other one that is blue. If you don't, you'll get thousands of little hairline leaks. Check the weather of course. And most important, get plenty of before/after pics to share. :)

Latest resources

Back