Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

FCCC presentation at Newmar Hoots (2023)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I attended the FL Custom Chassis presentation at Newmar hoots which I didn't think much would catch my attention but I was wrong. I was very impressed with the presentation on the technologies now available and things coming to FL chassis (plural). A new front suspension that apparently replaces IFS, I think they call it VFS which sounds interesting. The technology in the dash and getting all functionality up front is impressive. Good discussions on drive train, engine, engine braking, etc. that I wish I could remember completely and detail here but it was very informative. One thing the dash has integration for but Newmar and others don't use "yet" is the side warning system like cars have when someone is approaching at your side. I asked him after the presentation why we don't have it because that is the one thing with RV's are the blindspots and concerns of not seeing a small vehicle on our sides. He said the reason right now is the antenna system is large and ugly and it detracts from the lines and appearance of the motorhome. Of course I mentioned "well, cars have..." and I guess that doesn't work on these big rigs. Trucks have this and maybe keep an eye out for the ones that do and we'll see how large the side "puck" antennas or whatever are.

But I was impressed with the details of the latest generation of FL chassis work and integrations, technology, etc. that it makes me think...yeah, no, staying with what I have. But it is exciting and much needed work paving the way ahead and definitely leading the industry. Impressive!

Ohh, he said pull those lanyards in your wheel well 10-15 seconds every 6 months. And raised concerns over air dryer and/or filters and how important it is to change those I think it was either 1 or 3 years, can't remember, but it goes by the date on the filter, not the date of your service so ask and pay attention. I go to Gaffney every year so they handle this and I trust them.

Also of note is the OASIS service network of FL service centers means these are RV equipped and trained (standards of knowledge but also required tools and equipment) centers. I wasn't aware of what the "OASIS" tag meant but now I know. So if you need RV service, try to find an OASIS service center. But he said before going to any service, always call 800-FTL-HELP and they will tell you what you need and where you should go. This is for the lifetime of the coach, any owner, not original owner. They take this customer service offering extremely seriously and their top priority and want us to use it. He mentioned that they tried using "coach-net" for service one upon a time and it's an epic failure, their offering is about getting you towed, not providing expertise or services as they don't know the chassis system to the level needed, so they have taken the great efforts to make sure you have the assistance you need 24x7x365 as I personally validated when calling them on Labor Day with a breakdown and they answered and helped. They don't want you going to voicemail, they said you should expect someone will answer when you call - awesome! Warranty is now 5 years and 100,000 miles to align with Cummins.

I believe the OASIS service network is over 90 facilities and also they have supply centers strategically placed around the country to get you parts if not same day, definitely next day.

They are doing this right, very comforting to here all of this great detail and how they are supporting their customers.

The new V Series suspension is on the 2024 Newmar Ventana and Kountry Star only. Darn.

And with all the comparisons made between the Spartan and FreightLiner chassis nobody is really talking about the significant technologies now found in Optiview and DriveTech. Features not available on the Spartan chassis. For instance, with DriveTech all transmission and engine braking control is on the steering column, not the left hand side panel.

Frieghtliner Engine Brake.jpg

As I read that, the v-series is an upgrade to the straight axle found on KS and Ventana, and gives a more IFS-like ride. IFS is still the gold standard.

As I read that, the v-series is an upgrade to the straight axle found on KS and Ventana, and gives a more IFS-like ride. IFS is still the gold standard.
Could be. There was a video somewhere explaining the new suspension. It sounded like there was some new technology there that would be added to the higher end coaches in future year. Unfortunately, I cannot find it now. Maybe @Neal can ask at the event.

Maybe @Neal can ask at the event.
I'm trying to track down the FCCC guy and will ask. It may be a straight axle improvement that is on par with IFS. Someone is a bad student! If I find him I'll follow up. This morning I chatted with him and invited him or his fellows to join us here to answer questions such as this.

Essentially adding radius arm to the straight axle. Radius arms do make a significant improvement to solid axles as I found out when adding them to the CanyonStar.

I'm curious about who the FCCC speaker is. Mike Cody was the Camp Freightliner leader for years and was the speaker for some of these seminars. Inquiring minds you know.

Latest resources

Back