Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Fifth Wheel clearance on tow vehicle (Andersen Hitch)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Griz22

RVF Newbee
Hey all, new to fifth wheels and need some advice. I tow a fifth wheel with an F250 (6'11" bed) equipped with a rota flex pin box and the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch. I put a Gator retractable bed cover on and the last two times my fifth wheel has gotten into the bed cover rail and caused damage to both the rail and the underside of the fifth wheel. I have the ball on the hitch in the highest position. The rota flex is almost horizontal to the bed and I'm not sure if that can be adjusted to angle downward, which would give more height to the camper. I'm also wondering if turning the coupler around so that it is behind the pin (moving the camper forward 8") would solve the problem by giving me more turn radius. Andersen's website recommends turning the coupler around for short beds. Bottom line: I need to get the camper higher up off of my truck bed. Thanks in advance!

The Andersen to position 1 or in position 2 will not change the height. All that does is move it further away from the tail gate. It also cuts down on your turn radius when it's in position 2. Only the ball in it's highest position is going to raise it higher. How much clearance do you have now? 6 inches or more is all you need. Ford has a few model years where they had really high side walls and it sounds like that might be your case. I'd check with Andersen at this point.

Thank for your response. My F250 is a 2021. The clearance is about 6". I wonder if it's the movement of the rota flex?? It moves a lot on that ball, which allows for a really smooth ride. But I've noticed when the truck is on uneven terrain from the camper it can close that 6" quickly. Thanks again.

Thank for your response. My F250 is a 2021. The clearance is about 6". I wonder if it's the movement of the rota flex?? It moves a lot on that ball, which allows for a really smooth ride. But I've noticed when the truck is on uneven terrain from the camper it can close that 6" quickly. Thanks again.
I would contact Andersen. They are quick to respond or call them. Might be on hold a few minutes. I'm not sure ,but the Rota flex may need a lock out kit . Something like they sell for other pin boxes like the turning point. I'm not sure because I do not know your pin box. Which is why I would be asking them. They are very helpful.

Don't know if this will help or not. Mine is mounted with the ball toward the cab and the pin connector mounted with the ball socket toward the front of the trailer. The ball is in the lowest position on the frame. I have not had this setup long but so far I have had no problems. According to Anderson's instructions for the Ultimate, you do need to lock out the Rotoflex pin box.

Attachments

• 20210413_121833.jpg
    20210413_121833.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 44
  • 20210413_121322 (1).jpg
    20210413_121322 (1).jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 45

Latest resources

Back