Forest River
RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
Drove my fifth wheel yesterday for first time. I got some instructions from the dealership but still a little unsure about unhitching procedure. Is there any “trick” to knowing if the trailer and truck are properly aligned to drive away? As I raised and lowered my trailer legs I didn’t feel comfortable about if I was pushing truck down or raising the truck.

You may need something to help you align the truck and fifth wheel. I used 1/2 PVC attached to magnets. One at the front of the hitch and one on the camper above the king pin. These need to be tall enough to see from the mirror in the cab while backing up. I made mine, I’m guessing there is something out there on the market to buy. This made the alignment easy. You will get a rhythm looking at your mirrors where the truck is to the camper, do you see the same on each side. As for as the truck going down you may want air bags or an extra leaf spring to keep truck more level. I always wanted the truck level when towing. You will get it, don’t panic. Get is out and just drive go to a open lot and practice.

Drove my fifth wheel yesterday for first time. I got some instructions from the dealership but still a little unsure about unhitching procedure. Is there any “trick” to knowing if the trailer and truck are properly aligned to drive away? As I raised and lowered my trailer legs I didn’t feel comfortable about if I was pushing truck down or raising the truck.
It's a little like learning how to swim, you just need to get in.

Find the sweet spot where there is a small amount of pressure from the hitch to the truck. It will take a few try's but you'll be fine. everyone has been where you are.
Hooking up you also want the trailer a little low so the pin locks in correctly. To high is a bad thing.

It's a little like learning how to swim, you just need to get in.

Find the sweet spot where there is a small amount of pressure from the hitch to the truck. It will take a few try's but you'll be fine. everyone has been where you are.
Hooking up you also want the trailer a little low so the pin locks in correctly. To high is a bad thing.
Thanks DKRITTER. That should help. It is the unhitching I’m trying to master. I have a bed camera and plenty of room to look at how the pin lines up to attach. It’s getting the trailer on its stands aligned to UN-hitch I’ll learn.

That's the easy part. All you need to do is lower the landing gear until you just barely see light between the hitch plate and the pin box. You *MAY or MAY NOT* need to back into the pit to get it unlatched (I had one hitch that you needed to back into the pin). Then make sure you drop the tailgate and pull the plug. Drive out and proceed to level it. Easy peasy.

Latest resources

Back