Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

cgeszvain

RVF Regular
does anyone have experience with the Curt A20 or A16 fifth wheel?
I am contemplating buying one or the other for a short box Chevy. The Curt website says they are for long boxes only.

The problem with short box without sliding hitch is you can forget and really damage the cab in tight locations.

So then the fifth wheel should be set as far back as possible ? What is the advantage of moving it forward?
Thanks
My understanding is that the hitch should be set directly over the rear axle. In a short box truck, that may not give you enough room to make sharp turns without the front of the trailer hitting the rear window of the truck.

So then the fifth wheel should be set as far back as possible ? What is the advantage of moving it forward?
Thanks
As was said, over the axle is best. This balances the load in the bed. Moving the hitch back in the bed can lead to lurching, and will unload the front axle that may lead to some handling issues.

I have a 6.5 ft bed. Reese gave a dimension for the rails. It is a little close for my liking. However sliding hitch is a problem for me. If I can forget and turn to tight, then I can forget to slide the hitch back! When I mounted the hitch I measured clearance twice then positioned truck under the rig to verify I would not be popping the truck window out in a tight spot. I am about 2" behind the axle, and live with it.

My understanding is that the hitch should be set directly over the rear axle. In a short box truck, that may not give you enough room to make sharp turns without the front of the trailer hitting the rear window of the truck.
thanks

I think if you looked at the Anderson with you will be surprised. After mounting, the ball is towards the tail gate but the weight is still over the axle. The height has three different settings, Gives plenty of room for the bed rails.
AND,,,,,it only weights 35# but has a tow weight rating of 24,000#.

I think if you looked at the Anderson with you will be surprised. After mounting, the ball is towards the tail gate but the weight is still over the axle. The height has three different settings, Gives plenty of room for the bed rails.
AND,,,,,it only weights 35# but has a tow weight rating of 24,000#.
Draw what you see. Then think that opinion through!!!!

does anyone have experience with the Curt A20 or A16 fifth wheel?
I am contemplating buying one or the other for a short box Chevy. The Curt website says they are for long boxes only.
My Dad has a pull rite auto slide. Works great. It's on his shop floor because he went Class A. Wish you were in Oregon!

Latest resources

Back