• Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

kmc58

RVF Regular
What would cause a problem with filling our Thor Aria Motorhome with diesel
The pump keeps clicking off
Takes forever to pump fuel

Thanks!

First off, I don't own a unit like yours. Don't mean to oversimplify but have you tried putting the nozzle in different positions? Sometimes fuel fills have odd bends and angles that slow down the filling. It could be just repositioning the nozzle. If that does not help, I suggest having a lawn chair available. Besides, at fuel prices now, it seems like a better value if it takes longer. Ha.
Ken

Don't know which chassis you are on, but a kinked or twisted fuel filler hose is not uncommon. I never run the high volume diesel pumps at full speed due to the twists and turns compared to just directly into the tank like a semi has. My secret sauce is 2 clicks (middle speed) until less than 10 gallons to full (guesstimated) then down to 1 click (slow speed) to finish. Less spillage for me that way. Hope that helps.

You may want to check the breather valve on the fuel tank. If it does not work filling is a PITA

First off, I don't own a unit like yours. Don't mean to oversimplify but have you tried putting the nozzle in different positions? Sometimes fuel fills have odd bends and angles that slow down the filling. It could be just repositioning the nozzle. If that does not help, I suggest having a lawn chair available. Besides, at fuel prices now, it seems like a better value if it takes longer. Ha.
Ken

Don't know which chassis you are on, but a kinked or twisted fuel filler hose is not uncommon. I never run the high volume diesel pumps at full speed due to the twists and turns compared to just directly into the tank like a semi has. My secret sauce is 2 clicks (middle speed) until less than 10 gallons to full (guesstimated) then down to 1 click (slow speed) to finish. Less spillage for me that way. Hope that helps.
Thank you for your reply
Will try your suggestions
The slow filling has definitely been a problem
Our big concern is trying to pump and a big semi rolls in and we are holding up a fuel pump !

Thank you for your reply
Will try your suggestions
The slow filling has definitely been a problem
Our big concern is trying to pump and a big semi rolls in and we are holding up a fuel pump ! Thor Aria has a Freightliner chassis.

GMC70 has a point. As the fast stream of fuel enters the tank, the same volume of air is displaced and has to come out. Many fuel tanks are delivered with 3/8" or 1/2" breather hose, that will not keep up to expel the same volume of air. So the air is trying to come out the fill tube, and triggers the nozzle cut off.

Latest resources

Back