Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Finally drove a class C with the 445 - first impressions…

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rich W.

Retired Fire Chief
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3427
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
6.7 ISB 360/800
TOW/TOAD
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Fulltimer
No
I just rented a 2022 Thor class C and my first impression is that this drivetrain is a vast improvement over the V10. A major part of the improvement is the new 6 speed Trans with “M” and the ability to lock out higher gears and select any specific gear. This far exceeds the capabilities of tow haul and eliminates gear hunting. But the engine is a nice upgrade too. Godzilla is a bit of an exaggeration but even though the ratings are about the same as the V10, this thing has more power where you need it. You don’t have to red line it to get over a grade. Acceleration is also better, and while it’s not really a performance criteria, it sounds better too. Where that might be seen as an improvement is climbing grades where the noise level of the V10 was excessive. I observed all these impressions just on a 40 mile trip home after picking it up at the rental yard. I’ll have more to say on it after this weekend, but so far I see this drive train as a major improvement.

Boy Rich, you’re sure going to miss that DEF system….

Boy Rich, you’re sure going to miss that DEF system….
It’s just a rental. When we get there I post a pic in the “where were you with your budget Thor today?” forum. We brought Elon with us. Headed to Faith Valley which is south of Hope Valley. I’m in so much pain I can’t walk but I can drive just fine. Fun times….And it’s for a good cause.

After a couple hours of all mountain driving, I have to say I’m very impressed with this drivetrain and having had 3 V10 RVs, I can confidently say this is a huge improvement. It’s been a question in my mind since the 7.3 gas V8 came out and I’m glad I finally got to experience it for myself. And of course the 6 speed with the ability to lock out higher gears as necessary eliminates the incessant hunting of the previous trans. Given the choice there’d be no question - the V8/6 speed wins.

Attachments

• IMG_3850.jpeg
    IMG_3850.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 25

Latest resources

Back