Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

russellsunn

RVF Newbee
We just bought our 1997 Chinook and discovered the fire extinguisher is the same age! There are many affordabe units now availabe that cover Class B (flammable liquids) and Class C (electrical fires), but since there could be a fair mount of wood paneling, cabinets, and possible framing, is it important to have a unit that will handle a Class A fire as well (wood, paper, fiberglass)? Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated!

Here is one I recently bought but for something other than my RV and may fit your needs.

I also have these in various places inside and outside of my RV:

But in my recent search for the above it looks like these are the hot items now:

The class of a fire extinguisher (A/B/C) is not exclusive to a single type of fire; all will work, at least some degree, on all types of fires though they are most effective on the type of fire they are rated for. There are also dual-class and triple-class fire extinguishers. The A/B/C-rated extinguisher suggested by @Neal is a good multi-use choice.

TJ

If it is a Kidde extinguisher, check and see if it covered under their recall. Might get a free one.

Just because it's old doesn't mean it's bad depending on the type. If it has a gauge on it and it's in the green, it's still good according to my local fire station. He did say that I should take a rubber mallet and tap on the bottom of the case to loosen up the powder that can settle and cake up on the bottom. He said to do this like once a year.

I have an uncle who is a retired fire Marshall. He said the best fire extinguisher to have is an A, B, C rated one with a metal handle. He said he has seen multiple fire extinguishers with plastic nozzles/valves fail.

A few years ago in 2013 I tested an older fire extinguisher with a metal handle that had an expiration date of 2010 on it. It worked just fine.

Latest resources

Back