• Commercial/Vendors welcome

First RV trip this summer would appreciate advice

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
maybe so.. but as a retired construction inspector i can attest that higher thermal resistance insulation ('R' value) will provide better heat retention than a lower value 'R'.. hence the reason they use the higher value 'R' rating insulation for 'artic' packages.
Of course the higher the R value the better heat retention you will have. Granted there are some RV makes/models that put extra insulation in the roof plus some models offer "double pane" windows, most of which are not filled with argon gas like a residential window would be. The bottom line is you still have a box suspended up off the ground you are trying to heat that utilizes exposed plumbing and holding tanks.

As full timers we learned early on not to hang around anywhere north of the gulf coast after November. With that being said I know there is still a chance we could get stuck camped in some 25 - 30 degree nights or even experience a dusting of ice or snow during a freak event. The only thing I require my RV to have is heated holding tanks and a good working furnace. I carry a heated water hose and our current rig does not have slide toppers to worry about when a little ice or snow comes.

Of course the higher the R value the better heat retention you will have. Granted there are some RV makes/models that put extra insulation in the roof plus some models offer "double pane" windows, most of which are not filled with argon gas like a residential window would be. The bottom line is you still have a box suspended up off the ground you are trying to heat that utilizes exposed plumbing and holding tanks.

As full timers we learned early on not to hang around anywhere north of the gulf coast after November. With that being said I know there is still a chance we could get stuck camped in some 25 - 30 degree nights or even experience a dusting of ice or snow during a freak event. The only thing I require my RV to have is heated holding tanks and a good working furnace. I carry a heated water hose and our current rig does not have slide toppers to worry about when a little ice or snow comes.
... tri-glide? i have a roadglide.. nice!

We tried full time traveling several years ago without a motorcycle, it didn't last. On a whim I traded my 13 Ultra for a new 16 trike. The DW loved it but it took me a month or so before I didn't wake up every morning and want to sell it. We are now on our second one and I just finished getting a stage 1 on it and I love the thing. About 80% of my riding is 2-up and it works really well for that.

We should start a RV/Motorcycle section or thread on here.

Latest resources

Back