Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DelrayLou

RVF Newbee
Hi, my wife and I are a retired couple living in South Florida We are visiting our son in Southern. California. We want to dip our toes into the RV waters, so we are planning to rent an RV for 10 days. Not sure what type, but probably the 'Sprinter' type that are easier to drive and park. The idea is to pickup an RV in Irvine, Ca, drive to the Grand Canyon, then to Zion Ntl park and finally visit Death Valley Park on our way back to Irvine.
We would appreciate any and all advice you could offer to make this a fun and successful trip.
Questions: How realistic are we being for this trip? Do we go to a Rv park each night? Can we park off road? Where are good sources listing these parks.
Thank you!

Last edited:
I would reverse the schedule. Death valley first.

Hi, my wife and I are a retired couple living in South Florida We are visiting our son in Southern. California. We want to dip our toes into the RV waters, so we are planning to rent an RV for 10 days. Not sure what type, but probably the 'Sprinter' type that are easier to drive and park. The idea is to pickup an RV in Irvine, Ca, drive to the Grand Canyon, then to Zion Ntl park and finally visit Death Valley Park on our way back to Irvine.
We would appreciate any and all advice you could offer to make this a fun and successful trip.
Questions: How realistic are we being for this trip? Do we go to a Rv park each night? Can we park off road? Where are good sources listing these parks.
Thank you!
I would spend time seeing Bryce instead of Death Valley. Bryce is one of the most unusual, beautiful parks in the US. Try to get into rv parks when possible. They are safer, and hook-ups are very handy. Judy D

Welcome aboard!

Before you reserve that Sprinter, download the app RVParky and start checking a few campgrounds in the areas you will be visiting. We are headed out west (limited) and had a pretty hard time getting a couple reservations a couple weeks ago for August already. Friends of ours were planning on visiting southern Utah and so far they can't find any openings in the CGs they wanted.

Welcome from Georgia!

Before you reserve that Sprinter, download the app RVParky and start checking a few campgrounds in the areas you will be visiting. We are headed out west (limited) and had a pretty hard time getting a couple reservations a couple weeks ago for August already. Friends of ours were planning on visiting southern Utah and so far they can't find any openings in the CGs they wanted.
although i have not purchased an rv yet... i've been looking at the camp grounds availability. right now, i'm thinking you'd be hard pressed to find anything open on the weekends until mid-september. hence the reason my wife and i are really looking hard at the jayco eagle, and montana high country lines... this way we'd be able to just go during the colder months when the crowds are gone.

RVs of all brands and types brag about having "artic" packages and different options that make them ideal for cold weather camping. In reality you are trying to heat a fiberglass box on wheels so there is only so much that can be done.

RVs of all brands and types brag about having "artic" packages and different options that make them ideal for cold weather camping. In reality you are trying to heat a fiberglass box on wheels so there is only so much that can be done.
maybe so.. but as a retired construction inspector i can attest that higher thermal resistance insulation ('R' value) will provide better heat retention than a lower value 'R'.. hence the reason they use the higher value 'R' rating insulation for 'artic' packages.

Latest resources

Back