Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

LEMax

RVF Newbee
Hi all. We just retired and are now exploring used class A diesel pushers. We have done a lot of research but are still “in the weeds” about the important and not so important mechanical things on a used coach. From what we have been able to gather it seems that used Monaco coaches offer a lot for the money. We particularly like Signature, Executive, Dynasty and Windsor in the 2003-2008 range with at least 400 HP. We will have a Jeep TOAD. We want a coach with plenty of airbags and air bag leveling (I think). Do we want/need air brakes? Which are better, electric or hydraulic slides? How much better is a tag axle better than a 2 axle? This being our first coach, we do not want to make a huge blunder that we have to live with for years. Any and all thought, good or bad, are most appreciated. Many thanks in advance as we navigate this process of learning.

Welcome to the forums! A lot of personal opinions involved, but reading threads you will find a general consensus that tag axle is superior ride and towing capacity but you lose out on storage space and are heavier due to the additional axle. Exhaust breaking or jake breaks are common on most diesel with Jake being the better performer in mot opinions I have read. My personal opinion as I am underpowered in my current coach is you cant go wrong with extra horse power especially towing in mountains. Doesn't hit all your asks, but hopefully a start, I'm sure others will join in soon with relevant info as well.

Welcome aboard, ask a lot more questions.

Did you ever hear the expression, you don't know what you don't know. There are A LOT of things you should know BEFORE you buy a 15 to 20 year old coach. The age is a whole bag of worms to begin with.

First big hit, tires if they are over 7 years old you should replace, yes even with a lot of thread on them. If you are looking at 8 tires figure about $9K to replace. DP engine you need service records, miss something hear and you are going to be in deep dodo. Ac's, Tranny, slides, breaks, appliances all have to be checked. Any stains on the floors or ceiling for water leaks warning. You will have old blinds and and curtains, old TV's if never replaced and so on. Monaco made good older coaches, but so did Newmar & Tiffin. Don't limit yourself to one brand.

Once you think you have your coach picked out have it inspected by a certified RV technician.

To answer some of your questions, tag axles are nice, but like stated you loose bay storage, have the cost of two extra tires and so on. Better ride and stability probably but at what cost.

Your slides are going to be determined by the year of your coach. Traditionally hydraulic slides are less prone to breakage than electric slides. But you usually get BOTH in a coach.

All DP's come with air bag suspension, remember older bags can leak. You will also get air breaks, some exhaust breaks some with jake breaks. Exhaust breaks get the nod but both are very good.

Good luck and keep on looking and learning.
HH

Latest resources

Back