RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
2022 F.R. Wildcat 5th wheel.
We have been full timers since May. Looking at our first winter. On our panel there is a switch for “Tank heater”. When and how should we use this. We don’t boondock, yet, so will be on shore power for 2-3 weeks, 1 day travel then back into a park. When the temp will be below mid 30’s do I just leave it on? Is it electric or propane?

Also, other than a heated or insulated fresh water hose what should I be sure I have?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

You probably won't need the tank heater(s). They are electric (120 volt), by the way. Last winter I was in my trailer when it got down to 24 degrees. All I did was put insulation on my water hose. I also had my filter and softener in the pass through compartment (wet bay). My trailer sat in Texas when they had that super cold week a couple of years ago (I had make a trip) and my trailer was in temperatures down to 18 degrees two nights in a row and it sustained absolutely no damage. I had two full tanks of propane (60lbs) and have no idea when they both ran out that week. Would I do that willingly? Absolutely not, but unless the temperatures are below freezing for more that a day I wouldn't get too concerned about them.

I had a very basic Class C (previous rental) that did not have tank heaters. I only ran into a problem once, in New Hampshire, where my black tank froze. Obviously it was cold, but also in that region, all the RV parks close in the late fall and dont open until spring, and there are no other dump stations in the area I was visiting. It didn’t cause any damage, but it took a week in warmer climes to thaw so I could dump it.
57B7193D-4D21-444D-852E-63A8E4137426.jpeg

Attachments

• DCC8BD5D-8994-4D1F-B9CB-66F1904731B5.jpeg
    DCC8BD5D-8994-4D1F-B9CB-66F1904731B5.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
I spent 2 winters in my Montana fifth wheel but I was in St. Louis metro area and it got down to zero a few times.
I had extra propane bottles, heated hose, left tank heaters on. I think most tank heaters turn themselves off at 40 degrees even if the switch is on. Had to have a heat gun because at zero my dump valves froze and I had to thaw them to dump my tanks.
Even with furnace on I had my kitchen sink water freeze twice. Underpinning would have stopped that problem. I LOL at the 4 seasons tested down to zero advertising stickers that were on my fifth wheel.

If you're in Texas as your profile says you might get by with less than I had to do since it probably wouldn't get as cold. Just depends what the usual temperatures are at the location you're at.

Thanks for the info.

Latest resources

Back