RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
2022 F.R. Wildcat 5th wheel

I have tank heaters and, I think, I understand they have their own thermostat and, as long as on shore power, they should operate as programmed.

My question is that in Texas we have lows in upper 20’s then 65 degree days. Should I be turning the switch on and off as temps dictate or just turn them on and leave alone until spring?

You should empty your tanks then don't worry about it. You also need to put anti-freeze in the p-traps and I would blow out the water from the plumbing. I'm north of you and I blow out the lines and put RV anti-freeze in the lines.

Thanks but we are full timers. We live in the fiver. Will be heading south after CHRISTmas but north until then.

I always turn the heaters on at night and off during the day. My current coach doesn't have tank heaters so I have to run the propane heater to keep the basement warm so the lines don't freeze. I never use electric heaters if the temps are going to be below freezing because my lines in the underneth the coach will freeze.

I am not familiar with the plumbing on your rig, but if full timing with park power I would turn on and let them run on their thermostat. I would also make sure you have a heat source in any other plumbing specific areas or where you have exposed pipes/drains. I found some small electric heaters I put in a couple storage bays I was concerned with, and set up a power cord with a thermostat (I believe it is designed for livestock drinking tanks) that kicks their power on at 35 degrees or so. The added advantage to this setup is warmer floors! I have seen 5ers with the tank valve area skirted and heaters inside to keep those items from freezing up.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back