• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Flat Towable Vehicle Options

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'm assuming the Grand Cherokee, although electronic, is as easy as the Wrangler, but the Jeeps are great for towing. Put transmission in Neutral. Put transfer case in neutral. Put transmission back to park. Done.

On top of that, mate a Rock Hard 4x4 bumper to the front of the Wrangler or Gladiator, and it has the tow points (not welded on like other bumpers, but bolted to the frame horns -- big difference).

We have three standard poodles, so we can get them all in the back of the Jeep Unlimited with the seat down. In a Gladiator, will they all be able to fit in the back seat or will you need to have them in the bed of the truck.

This is only focused on the towing aspect (ours is a third vehicle, mostly for RV towing), and not what you might want from a vehicle if it's a primary. But, if the main focus is towing, really hard to beat a Wrangler.

@Tnedator
Look like we think alike. I have a 2020 Rubicon with the Rock Hard aluminum bumper for towing. Easy to - easy setup - just works. My 2022 Grand Cherokee stays in the garage.

We tow a 2019 Chevy Colorado. Our first coach was Newmar gasser (Canyon Star) with the 5K limit. We had no issues with Colorado as toad for that rig. When we went to the Cornerstone, we just carried on. Since gasser didn't have air brakes we went with Invisbrake system and that works fine. Kept it when we moved to the diesel. With this truck, we also needed the negative battery isolation. Went with Roadmaster solenoid, it works well.
Do be aware, if you shop installs cost is significant ($5K ish) for all parts and pieces installed. You can save money if you can do some of the work.

@ Gizmo & Tnedator, Who installed the Rock Hard 4x4 bumper?

I had mine done by a 4x4 show in Topeka, Kansas. I just out of hip replacement surgery so I limited what I could but would not be that big project to do yourself. I purchased the aluminum bumper to save weight and only weigh in at 36 pounds the only negative is that it cost more than the steel version.

We tow a 2019 Chevy Colorado. Our first coach was Newmar gasser (Canyon Star) with the 5K limit. We had no issues with Colorado as toad for that rig. When we went to the Cornerstone, we just carried on. Since gasser didn't have air brakes we went with Invisbrake system and that works fine. Kept it when we moved to the diesel. With this truck, we also needed the negative battery isolation. Went with Roadmaster solenoid, it works well.
Do be aware, if you shop installs cost is significant ($5K ish) for all parts and pieces installed. You can save money if you can do some of the work.
I went to the local RV shop just to inquire about pricing and like you mentioned, he said it would cost between $6K - $7K for everything installed. Luckily, we know folks in the industry who can install for way lower.

On my JL, I had the Jeep dealer to it. On my JK, I did it myself. Especially if you go with the Aluminum, it's VERY easy. I did it with no help. If you had someone giving a hand, even easier. I will say the lowered winch version that I got on the JK, make it much easier to reach the inside bolts. I accidentally ordered a normal height for the JLU, it's more of a bear to reach behind without a lift.

Now, that's for the bumper. Doing electric and braking system is whole different story, and I'm not comfortable to do that part. I had an RV dealer do that on both the JK and JL's.

So the more that I investigate, the more it looks like the Jeep Wrangler or Chevy/GMC Colorado/Canyon may be our best options (staying under the 5K weight limit).

Well, I know that it's been a while but we ended up trading in two of our vehicles (Mustang and Escape) for a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport. So now we just have to figure out how to set up the Jeep to tow (I'll read the manual) with the proper equipment (connectors, tow bar, etc.). Question, does this vehicle require a braking system (like the Patriot Braking System)?

Attachments

• 20220826_173516.jpg
    20220826_173516.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220826_173530.jpg
    20220826_173530.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 5

Latest resources

Back