• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Flat Towable Vehicle Options

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Well, I know that it's been a while but we ended up trading in two of our vehicles (Mustang and Escape) for a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport. So now we just have to figure out how to set up the Jeep to tow (I'll read the manual) with the proper equipment (connectors, tow bar, etc.). Question, does this vehicle require a braking system (like the Patriot Braking System)?
You need to call the bumper manufacturer to see if the bumper is certified to use as towing points, most are not certified by the bumper manufacturer. We have a Rock Hard bumper that IS certified and have been towing for years with it without a problem. Rock hard ties into the frame of the Jeep for it's tow points. You will need a lighting kit to activate the jeeps taillights. Also, you will need a braking system for the jeep and I use a Blue Ox but there are better ones out there. I would install Airforce One if didn't already have a Blue Ox. You probably going to need a drop reiser hitch to get your towbar level.

Reached out to one of the local dealers to inquire about tow set up...price ranged from $6800 - $7500. Is that about right?

Reached out to one of the local dealers to inquire about tow set up...price ranged from $6800 - $7500. Is that about right?
That seems a little excessive.
On Etrailer Roadmaster baseplate is 412.00
RoadMaster Lighting Kit is 173.00
RoadMaster Tow Bar runs between 725.00 and 1200.00
RoadMaster Braking system 1300.00 and 1500.00
Brake away switch 25.00

The rest of the quotes are labor....

PS. I won't use BlueOx since I had the towbar develop a crack and BlueOx claimed I back up with it and I caused the crack Well I never did!
I would look at the RoadMaster Night Hawk for the cable management that is unique to the NightHawk.

Last edited:
I was doing a quick review of the Roadmaster and it looked awesome. Appreciate the breakdown of parts. I figured that they'd charge an arm and a leg (and then some) for getting the rig and Jeep ready for towing.

You need to call the bumper manufacturer to see if the bumper is certified to use as towing points, most are not certified by the bumper manufacturer. We have a Rock Hard bumper that IS certified and have been towing for years with it without a problem. Rock hard ties into the frame of the Jeep for it's tow points. You will need a lighting kit to activate the jeeps taillights. Also, you will need a braking system for the jeep and I use a Blue Ox but there are better ones out there. I would install Airforce One if didn't already have a Blue Ox. You probably going to need a drop reiser hitch to get your towbar level.
Validated that the bumper is certified, so that'll save lots of time, money and effort.

So now that we've purchased the 2020 Jeep Wrangler, I've started to inquire about getting the vehicle "tow ready." I've reached out to a couple dealers in the area to find out the costs to do this, and the going rate is anywhere between $7000 - $7500 (parts and labor). I mentioned to another dealer that the Jeep already has a towable bumper installed, so his price is $3800 (parts) + $2800 (labor); $6600 total. Are these prices realistic? Has does anybody know a "guy" that does these installs on the side?

4 years ago when we set up our Colorado with Roadmaster gear, invisibrake set up, it ran about $5k installed. Just to give you ballpark.

I just didn't have the time, tools, nor inclination to do it myself.

So now that we've purchased the 2020 Jeep Wrangler, I've started to inquire about getting the vehicle "tow ready." I've reached out to a couple dealers in the area to find out the costs to do this, and the going rate is anywhere between $7000 - $7500 (parts and labor). I mentioned to another dealer that the Jeep already has a towable bumper installed, so his price is $3800 (parts) + $2800 (labor); $6600 total. Are these prices realistic? Has does anybody know a "guy" that does these installs on the side?
I researched the various products on the market and talked to others about what works and what is preferred, and did my own work. Under $2000 for everything. At a minimum I suggest you source and purchase your own parts and equipment. Maybe you can do and some of it yourself, and some you’ll need to have done, but at least you will get the equipment you want rather than having it chosen by someone else, and you wont pay a marked up price.

The price you were quoted might be accurate for an SUV or other vehicle that requires complete dissassembly of the front bodywork to install a base plate, but on a jeep its just a bolt on affair. And most braking systems are fairly user-friendly. So spend some time researching and post a question in a new thread asking specifically what works for others on a 2020 Wrangler. There is no reason to pay that much for this job. Usually a high bid means the bidder doesn’t want the job.

As an example here is the Blue Ox base plate - you can see that it just bolts on to the frame from underneath. At worst the bumper has to come off: BX1139 Jeep Wrangler/Wrangler Unlimited (JL)(All Models w/Standard Bumper)(Includes ACC)(Includes 392 & 4XE) Baseplate - Blue Ox | Towing Accessories
Since you have a “tow ready” bumper you could install these: BX88230 Universal Blue Ox Bolt-On Adapter Tabs, 5,000 lb. Rated - Blue Ox Or if you want to go super heavy-duty these: BX88266 Universal Blue Ox Bolt-On Adapter Tabs, 20K - Blue Ox Still cheaper than a base plate and easy to install. You might need one of these to keep things level if towing from your bumper: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Blue-Ox/BX88129.html

With either of these options, what’s left is just matter of lights and a braking system. Here’s a search on etrailer for braking systems for your vehicle: 2020 Jeep Wrangler Vehicle Tow Bar Brake System Hydraulic Brakes | etrailer.com

I’m sure there is a shop in your area that will give you a hand with the stuff you can’t do - jeep/off-road shop or independent auto repair. It’s just not a $7000 job for a jeep.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back