• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Fleetwood vs Thor

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Me thinks this is somewhat loaded question. but the answer is this.

Go look at a Newmar to understand what production quality looks like. After that you can judge for yourself much better.

Which would I buy? Neither. As for why, I was taught that if I couldn't say something good, I shouldn't say anything at all. :rolleyes:

TJ

Which would I buy? Neither. As for why, I was taught that if I couldn't say something good, I shouldn't say anything at all. :rolleyes:

TJ

I appreciate the comment. What would you recommend for a family of five, needing sleeping areas for three kids and not wanting to use pullout coaches if possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I appreciate the comment. What would you recommend for a family of five, needing sleeping areas for three kids and not wanting to use pullout coaches if possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
From your initial choices, it appears that you are looking for a Class A diesel pusher In the mid-price range.

Newmar makes a couple of coaches in its Ventana line with bunk beds; the 4326 and 4329 models: 2021 Ventana floor plan options | Newmar It also makes a couple of bunk models in the Dutch Star line; the 4310 and 4326 models: 2021 Dutch Star floor plan options | Newmar

Tiffin makes a bunk model in its Phaeton series; model 40QKH: Phaeton

Entegra has a 44H bunk model in its Aspire line; 2019 Entegra Coach Aspire 44R Bath & 1/2, Bunk Model RV W/ Theater Seats

There may be others, but the above are the top three in quality and customer service.

The bunk models probably won't completely solve your sleeping arrangement needs for three kids, so one will still likely need to sleep on a sofa or other convertible bed, but it is a start.

From my perspective, when you spend the money to buy a Class A coach, you want one that is well built and has good support from the manufacturer. Sadly, many of the lower line Class A manufacturers suffer in both those departments in my opinion.

Don't hesitate to look at coaches that are 2-3 years old. As long as they are clean, well maintained and reasonably low mileage (up to 30K or so), I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pre-owned Newmar, Tiffin or Entegra from a reputable dealer.

Good luck in your search.

TJ

Last edited:
I hate to say it @GSP89, but I agree with the sentiment. These are the last two brands I would consider and I don’t say that lightly. Prior to making my purchase, I spent 18 months on IRV2.com every single night poking around on each forum, reading posts, getting an idea of patterns and trends and these two brands consistently came up as brands with poor build quality and little to no post-sale support. It’s awful tempting to buy into these brands because at first glance you think you’re getting the same thing as you would get from a Newmar, Tiffin or Entegra for a great bargain but it’s just a few weeks to a few months in that you start to find all the places where corners where cut to reach that price point.

I don’t mean to knock the brands. If my choice were no RV or a Thor or Fleetwood, I’d take a Thor. But I also know I would need to expect problems, possibly big, expensive problems and little to no support from the manufacturer. So while the upfront discount seems like a deal, the truth is you’ll eventually pay it back in lost time, opportunity and repairs.

I have read recently of a couple of Newmar folks who had the standard two bunk bed configuration modded to three bunks. I would think that would be crowded, but it worked for them.

From your initial choices, it appears that you are looking for a Class A diesel pusher In the mid-price range.

Newmar makes a couple of coaches in its Ventana line with bunk beds; the 4326 and 4329 models: 2021 Ventana floor plan options | Newmar It also makes at least one bunk model in the Dutch Star line with bunks; the 4310 and 4326 models: 2021 Dutch Star floor plan options | Newmar

Tiffin makes a bunk model in its Phaeton series; model 40QKH: Phaeton

Entegra has a 44H bunk model in its Aspire line; 2019 Entegra Coach Aspire 44R Bath & 1/2, Bunk Model RV W/ Theater Seats

There may be others, but the above are the top three in quality and customer service.

The bunk models probably won't completely solve your sleeping arrangement needs for three kids, so one will still likely need to sleep on a sofa or other convertible bed, but it is a start.

From my perspective, when you spend the money to buy a Class A coach, you want one that is well built and has good support from the manufacturer. Sadly, many of the lower line Class A manufacturers suffer in both those departments in my opinion.

Don't hesitate to look at coaches that are 2-3 years old. As long as they are clean, well maintained and reasonably low mileage (up to 30K or so), I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pre-owned Newmar, Tiffin or Entegra from a reputable dealer.

Good luck in your search.

TJ

Thanks, TJ, this is very helpful!

I hate to say it @GSP89, but I agree with the sentiment. These are the last two brands I would consider and I don’t say that lightly. Prior to making my purchase, I spent 18 months on IRV2.com every single night poking around on each forum, reading posts, getting an idea of patterns and trends and these two brands consistently came up as brands with poor build quality and little to no post-sale support. It’s awful tempting to buy into these brands because at first glance you think you’re getting the same thing as you would get from a Newmar, Tiffin or Entegra for a great bargain but it’s just a few weeks to a few months in that you start to find all the places where corners where cut to reach that price point.

I don’t mean to knock the brands. If my choice were no RV or a Thor or Fleetwood, I’d take a Thor. But I also know I would need to expect problems, possibly big, expensive problems and little to no support from the manufacturer. So while the upfront discount seems like a deal, the truth is you’ll eventually pay it back in lost time, opportunity and repairs.

Thanks, MapNerd, I appreciate the advice.

I have read recently of a couple of Newmar folks who had the standard two bunk bed configuration modded to three bunks. I would think that would be crowded, but it worked for them.

Thanks, USMCRet. That would work as well, please share any helpful links if you remember where you read on that information.

Latest resources

Back