Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Picked up the Ford Flex today. The Battery shut off in the driver side of the center console is very stealthy. Unless I pointed it out you wouldn't see it. Simple black push button.

Here is a frontal picture.
Being a pic of a nit picker, I'll probably move the signal wire attach point and air line attachment farther back into the grill area at some future date. First I want to see how it functions.
I had no idea the weight of the tow bar, Yikes. Got a Blue Ox Avail. Should be plenty strong enough.

fordflex.jpg

That small black button in the pocket of the console is the battery cut off switch. Thus is what I requested, something that looked OEM and unobtrusive. Very clean😎
IMG_0479.jpeg

More pictures IMG_0477.jpegIMG_0480.jpeg

According to Gail, my practice of buying a tool for DYI when I believe the cost of repair is excessive, is not prudent. Well I ended up needing a second key FOB for the Flex,,,$350???!!!.
OK I would like a third key FOB as a spare.

OEM-8609-5b-ford-Image-2__98360.jpg

Purchased an Autel MaxiPro 808 tool.

Third key FOB purchased off Amazon between $29-49 and cut the emergency Key $10.

Autel programed the key FOB in seconds after the FORD mandated 10 minute security wait.

Tool does much more than keys. Particularly interested when I rotate the tires I can reassigned TPMS to appropriate locations as well as Live data and reset any number of ECU counters.

MaxiPro 808.jpg

Last edited:
Don't forget eBay, something I often overlook. My Chevy Colorado has been giving me a service alert for the Trailer Brake System, which I don't use and never have. After a google search and a YouTube watch, the part is $25 on eBay (ordered). We'll see if that solves my issue but again, eBay can often be a good source of stuff.

Did some corrections, adjustments, and final steps to get the tow ready. there were some issues with the original installation that needed correction. Also I asked to have the brake air chuck installed closer in to the bumper.

Ready to be a Tow.

IMG_0533.jpegIMG_0535.jpeg

The brake system that was installed at the recommendation of Independence RV, the installer, is M&G 2.0 Brake System. Independence RV explained that for the Ford application, they have had much better experience with this product rather than the AirForce product. The issue is the Ford vacuum system controller/computer.
Ford vacuum systems do not like to be opened nor have the signal changed in any way. You end up chasing Fault Codes with aftermarket equipment.
Not sure about other installations, systems, or experiences but this installer recommended this system and warranties their work so I went with it.
As long as it works, not made in China, I am happy to use whatever.

The M&G product is proudly made in America. :cool:

Latest resources

Back